• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rate your interest in 4e.

D&D 4e expectation score

Votes: 24 4.2%

Votes: 19 3.4%

Votes: 35 6.2%

Votes: 39 6.9%

Votes: 19 3.4%

Votes: 16 2.8%

Votes: 30 5.3%

Votes: 90 15.9%

Votes: 122 21.6%

Votes: 171 30.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

pawsplay

Hero
Multiclassing looks well done... enough to make my 4 waver, but not actually something that moves the score. But I'm feeling more open to having my mind changed.

I'm one of those folks that's sick of 3e. Too many games out there that are quicker and better (like Saga and WoD). Saga really spoiled me.

I still play 3.5 but I've got my sights set on 4e. Can't wait to run a campaign and play in one under 4e rules.

BadMojo

First Post
I've been losing interest in 4E pretty steadily as more info came out. There are certainly bits that I like, but it just doesn't, as a whole, appeal to me. I'll still buy the PHB, but I don't think it'll see much use. I voted.... 4.

Jhaelen

First Post
I voted 7. If I had liked everything I've seen so far I would have voted 8. I'm too much of a realist (or is that pessimist?!) to expect any rpg system to ever score a 9.

The multiclassing rules did nothing to change my rating. They're pretty much what I expected and there's still the open question what replacing a paragon path with a second base class will do exactly.

LovelyNipper

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:
I never understand the people who care about the OGL for 3.x or a possible "poison pill" in the GSL. I guess these people like to feel important and "enlightened" by "standing up against" the "evil, greedy corporations" when all they're really doing is hurting themselves.

WotC is in business to make money. Period. The license will reflect whatever beliefs they have about what will generate the most money for them in the short and long term. To an outsider who hasn't seen sales and marketing data, its pretty pompous to assume that you know more than WotC about what approach to take, simply basing it on the preferences you you and your circle of friends.

Did anyone else choke when they read this? Someone seriously believes that WotC is in business to make money period. And WotC chooses to sell trading cards, miniatures, and game rules why? There's a lot more money to be made in banking. Or nearly anywhere else for that matter. ;)

This is a poll about interest level in a product and mine is altered by the ethics of the company behind the product. So the licensing is important here.

Anyway. . . back on topic. . .

I'm ready for the new edition and it brings me exactly what I need at nearly the right time. If the books were available two weeks ago, when I first started reading this forum, I would have bought them then. But they weren't so I'll have to see if my interest level can survive for the next few weeks.

3.0 brought a lot of sense to the table for a boy having difficulty with the 2ed rules. I was sold the moment I learned that saving throw DCs would depend on the level of the caster. The OGL had me evangelizing for the game. I'll never be as excited about a role playing product as I was for 3rd edition.

Now I have more human things to be excited about. Family, work, and more that an RPG can never compare to but as a result I don't care about how saving throws work. I just want the game to be fast, smooth, and fun. 4e promises to deliver these things and I want to believe the promises. :)

So here's where it falls on a simple scale of games I've been interested in:
1 - 3.5e (I was interested to see why anyone expected I might pay for a reprint with more errata.)
2 - Order of the Stick Board Game (I love OOTS.)
3 - Iron Heroes (D&D without magic items, I'll bite.)
4 - Arkham Horror (Had to wait until Christmas to actually play it!)
5 - Exalted 2nd Edition (A welcome and engaging break from 3rd edition.)
6 - Baulder's Gate (They had me believing it'd be just as fun as D&D and it came close for about 12 hours.)
7 - 4th Edition (D&D now with more fun and less math. I hope.)
8 - 3rd Edition (Thanks to Eric Noah!)
9 - Diablo II (I'll admit Blizzard's hype storm really caught me.)

So yeah I picked 7.

Praeden

Explorer
Started out at 8 or 9 out of 10. Then lost interest when they released the healing rules, the marking mechanic, the warlord info, and some other stuff (like the fact that defences are affected by a choice of 2 attributes). Probably down to 5. Back up to 7 after seeing paragon paths and multiclssing.

A. Smith

First Post
One thing on the defences being affected by two ability score: it's only affected by one, whichever is highest. It makes sense, IMHO. Sure, you can dodge that fireball if you're quick enough, but you also might be able to if you are able to see it coming (int). Likewise, it fits with things like the cunning duelist archetype. He might not be as agile as an acrobat, but man can is he hard to hit when fighting with him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The glimpse I had of the 4Ed weapon size rules makes me drop another .5 or so.

My teeth are beginning to reflexively clench with each new leak.

Remove ads