D&D General Ravenloft, horror, & safety tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Your case appears to be that it doesn't provide you the information you personally want, based on a completely hypothetical reason.
Which "hypothetical" of mine are you citing? Can you be specific or would that require reading the posts?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just based on the wisdom I've gained being alive four decades, it isn't an idea I can get behind.

That's a form of Appeal to Authority. It doesn't hold rhetorical water.

Proof? I've been alive longer than you. So, do you accept that my wisdom must therefore be greater, and I am right and you are wrong? No? Good, you shouldn't. But you should then realize that your age is not relevant, either.

No, I am saying there are two groups of people A) people with real mental health issues and B) people who are following a social script for other reasons.

And here, we are off the rails. Unnamed, uncounted, unknown people are lying about their mental health issues, and you cannot prove it, but you know it to be true... should be a basis for policy at tables in general? That doesn't fly as an argument. There's no substance, only shadows of fear.

You are you. We cannot and should not argue that you don't know what is best for you. These tools make you uncomfortable? Don't use them, and ask GMs you work with not to use them with you. But as others should respect your choice in that matter, you should respect theirs. If you want others to accept how you actually know what's best for you, you need to actually accept that they know their own needs better than you do.

Not just pay lip service - actually internally grant that for them it is actually the right choice. No, "well, I have to accept your choice, but I actually think you are doing harm to yourself" stuff. If you aren't up to that, there's no point in conversing on the subject.

That's a form of Appeal to Authority. It doesn't hold rhetorical water.

Proof? I've been alive longer than you. So, do you accept that my wisdom must therefore be greater, and I am right and you are wrong? No? Good, you shouldn't. But you should then realize that your age is not relevant, either.
This is just the equivalent of saying "I've been around the block and seen a few things, and this is a familiar pattern to me". It is not a proof, nor is it a formal argument, but it is a perfectly reasonable opinion to express. People don't have to share it, and people can say "he seems unreliable, I don't trust his conclusion". But there is nothin wrong, when we are all looking at the same phenomena and giving our opinion of it, to say this is what it looks like to me. At a certain point we have to factor in things like our intuition, our own experience in reaching conclusion. It isn't all syllogisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads