Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

I'm actually OK with Ravnica as a setting book, just because it is something different and isn't the Realms. I played MtG for a super short time and liked it, and it seemed to have some nifty lore. So I'm in. Now if for their additional setting(s) they would announce some old school stuff to appease my grognard side, I would be set...

I'm just poking at the idea that the established players are, or will continue to, throw money at WotC without consideration.
I dispute that idea as well. Some 4e designers commented that one of the reasons they felt 4e and the post-Spellplague Realms failed to retain established players. They just assumed existing players would upgrade and keep playing and focused heavily on new players. That the changes would just be accepted because it was D&D/ the Realms.

I don’t think every product needs to be full fan service. But you can’t ignore your audience.
(Which is why I think this product is a bonus fourth product.)

Speaking as someone who hasn't played Magic in 20+ years, I'll be buying this book purely because it's new and interesting. I suspect a fair amount of D&D fans fall into the "neophile" category.
My boilerplate response to that any of the two-dozen 3rd party publishers can do “new”. (I recommend Tal’dorie, Midgard, or Karthun.)
Only WotC can do Dark Sun and Hollow World

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I have remained perplexed about the lack of MtG DnD content for decades.

It's not all that confusing -- as long as D&D and Magic are different 'brands', the question becomes "who gets credit for the revenue?" Sure, it's got the D&D logo on it, but a significant part of the creative work was done by folks on the Magic team, and without a way to 'chargeback' those costs, the Magic folks would likely want to get credit for sales of material based on their work.

Clearly they've figured out how that process works now.

Aldarc said:
Has no one noted one of the similarities between Ravnica, Eberron, and Planescape?

Not only that, but if the Magic-style setting incorporates those sorts of mechanics into D&D, then there's really no need for an official Planescape 5E setting at all -- 'the multiverse' becomes an actual multiverse rather than a series of alternate Prime Material planes existing within the 'true' Great Wheel cosmology.

I'm not necessarily a fan of that style of setting design, but it does make sense, particularly given the way the official WotC folks have emphasized 'the multiverse' as the true setting, rather than any given 'over-setting' such as Planescape or Spelljammer.

--
Pauper

DCRWrites

Villager
I'm definitely curious -- though I'm not sure about the budget stretching at this point. Then again the setting I want most is one I'm sure we won't get for 5E: Birthright.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So Eberron is out in digital format and Ravnica is the hardcover book. Should have been the other way round. :-/

I disagree. I know where you are coming from. I never played Eberron, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun--all of which have a rabid fan base here on EN World--but I would certainly like to see a 5e version of Greyhawk.

But the Ravnica setting makes sense to me. It is a brand new setting for D&D, taken from a more popular game with a lot of cross-over potential. It will hopefully attract new players to D&D and enough of us Grognards will pick it up if the quality is good and the content interesting.

Having the new Eberron Book in PDF and in D&D Beyond is a good model for other settings. Not everything can have a main print run. It would be nice, however, if they would allow print on demand.

Remove ads

Remove ads