Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

variant

Adventurer
Is Magic the Gathering doing so badly that they need to spend time and effort on a D&D crossover at the expense of actual D&D settings?

Dispater

Explorer
Id be interested in the way magic works. Hopefully that’ll be interesting. Lore-wise I have about 0 interest in yet another generic high fantasy setting.

Is Magic the Gathering doing so badly that they need to spend time and effort on a D&D crossover at the expense of actual D&D settings?
No, Magic is doing so well that they see an opportunity in getting players to buy some D&D books and start playing this game by turning a Magic world into a new "actual D&D setting".

Seriously, why would they do this if Magic were doing badly?

variant

Adventurer
No, Magic is doing so well that they see an opportunity in getting players to buy some D&D books and start playing this game by turning a Magic world into a new "actual D&D setting".

Seriously, why would they do this if Magic were doing badly?

Magic sales have been dropping year after year for years now. There's already rumors that Hasbro is starting to look for a buyer for Wizards of the Coast.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Magic sales have been dropping year after year for years now. There's already rumors that Hasbro is starting to look for a buyer for Wizards of the Coast.

Not saying you're being false, but I'd be interested in seeing a source for this. I was under the impression that Magic has been doing swimmingly.

No, as James Wyatt, the main writer for this, said on Twitter, it is because there was such positive response to the Planeshift articles that this project got the green light.

As for the other D&D worlds, from the way I am understanding what Mearls and Crawford and others are saying, the format used for Eberron is the format planned for all the other worlds too, and the Ravnica release had no impact on that. So expect pdf guides over the next couple of years for other major D&D worlds and plenty of DMs Guild content to go with them.

Although, to be fair, people have been claiming there's rumors that Hasbro is on the verge of selling off some or all of WotC since the day they bought them.

Remove ads

Remove ads