Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

IIRC, the Anglicized pronunciations are canon - as you say, for marketing reasons. And after all, it's not as if they're actually speaking Czech in Ravnica. Their written language just happens to bear a completely coinicdental resemblance to it...

I have done my due cedillagence (see what I did there?) and I am not carink vot anyvun says, i vill be sayink Ravneetsa.

variant

Adventurer
Not saying you're being false, but I'd be interested in seeing a source for this. I was under the impression that Magic has been doing swimmingly.

They are at 12 million players now according to Mark Rosewater. Source That's a 40% drop since 2015. Source.

[video=youtube;zSxd49zAnvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxd49zAnvA[/video]

The planewalkers will be a cannon D&D class?

That seems relatively unlikely. You don't train to become a planeswalker; you're born as one. While you do seem to need to know how to cast a spell, you don't need to be a particularly experienced spellcaster (see: Garruk). You're born with a planeswalker spark -- which is itself absurdly rare -- and even then your spark will not ignite unless you're in the right place at the right time (usually under a lot of stress). Planeswalkers, even post-Mending (a.k.a, Magic's Crisis on Infinite Earths) are more powerful than other wizards, and planeswalker sparks are about as common as major artifacts. Pre-Mending planeswalkers were at least lesser gods in power as far as D&D terms go. Post-Mending, they're essentially one step below demigods.

They are at 12 million players now according to Mark Rosewater. Source That's a 40% drop since 2015. Source.

[video=youtube;zSxd49zAnvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxd49zAnvA[/video]
Hasbro, by coincidence, released their second-quarter financial results today. Here is a report. tl;dr: Magic is growing.

But no, let's trust a disgruntled YouTuber instead.

variant

Adventurer
Hasbro, by coincidence, released their second-quarter financial results today. Here is a report. tl;dr: Magic is growing.

But no, let's trust a disgruntled YouTuber instead.

A growth with the release of Dominaria is expected. They had a 20% drop in Magic the Gathering revenue last quarter.

He's not some disgruntled YouTuber, he's a Magic store owner in Florida who is getting burned hard by Wizard's of the Coast decisions such as their choice to use bad cardstock, and poor randomization of the Masters 25. Wizards fired their Vice President of Production and just decided to end their buy direct program for Magic stores. Seas are not exactly calm at the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's not some disgruntled YouTuber, he's a Magic store owner in Florida who is getting burned hard by Wizard's of the Coast decisions such as their choice to use bad cardstock, and poor randomization of the Masters 25. Wizards fired their Vice President of Production and just decided to end their buy direct program for Magic stores. Seas are not exactly calm at the company.
Like I said, I don't think it's necessary to go into what he is. Curious parties can google him and evaluate his reputation for themselves. My point is not to put him on trial. It's to say that releasing a campaign setting for an IP that's a sinking ship makes no sense. It's not a move to bring D&D players into Magic, it's a move to bring Magic players into D&D. That's a demonstration of confidence in the Magic brand.

variant

Adventurer
Like I said, I don't think it's necessary to go into what he is. Curious parties can google him and evaluate his reputation for themselves. My point is not to put him on trial. It's to say that releasing a campaign setting for an IP that's a sinking ship makes no sense. It's not a move to bring D&D players into Magic, it's a move to bring Magic players into D&D. That's a demonstration of confidence in the Magic brand.

Are you saying Wizard's didn't have confidence in their Magic the Gathering brand for the two decades they've owned D&D and never did crossovers? They are trying to generate more revenue. It's been the growth of D&D that's keeping Wizard's numbers not appearing as bad. We will never know if they will internally categorize a Magic the Gathering campaign setting under D&D or Magic the Gathering.

Remove ads

Remove ads