Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
So, after the briefest of quick readthroughs... Wayfarer's looks excellent, both as crunch for updating Eberron races and dragonmarks, but as a very friendly primer on the world.

I have all the Eberron 3.5e and 4e books, yet the description of races, nations, and general life in Khorvaire looks like the best presentation I've seen.

Not to mention the setting-independent goldmine of roleplaying ideas and tips.

Take a look at the [b[]Everyone has Regrets[/b] and Why do you need 200gp tables.

Each nation has a brief write up of Interesting Things about that nation, as well as what citizens of that nation might be like.

"DM Lore" is kept hidden, to some extent, and doesn't clutter up the descriptions. The Lords of Dust are barely even mentioned as an organization.

Starting Points and A Quick Sharn Story are great inspiration for a campaign set in any world.

I'm very impressed, and this would be a useful document to anyone looking for ideas or spicing up any home campaign, whether you like Eberron or not.

gyor

Legend
Okay, so your guild is your background. Tries to listen closely, but nope - no mention of new crunch, only fluff. Random tables "your enemy is a nobleman" is not useful to me. And suggestions for abstract and generic adventure isn't my thing either.

If your guild had given you real actual abilities (ideally on several different levels), and they planned on releasing actual written adventures, I could have been more interested.

Of course, what I really want out of MtG is a replacement magic and spellcasting framework, replacing slots, that allows D&D characters to use mana of the five different colors to create effects.

I think that what they intended to convey is that Guilds in Ravnica are kind of like a cross between Background and Factions in FR, only more so. So you get contracts, connections, enemies, maybe access to locations and guild support systems, have expected duties and consequences for failure for example.

gyor

Legend
Given that the official D&D Ravnica release said the book would have races and classes, I hope they do a D&D video on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

We don't know if it's flatlined yet or if it's worsening, but either way drops of as much as 30%-35% year over year is a really good sign that you shouldn't be using it as a basis for other products.
I agree completely. Thus, the fact that they are using it as a basis for other products causes me to wonder if these rumors of 35% drops may not be entirely accurate.

Von Ether

Legend
This is very likely the first 5e book I will skip.
Super disappointed. There's so many settings they're not supporting, and so much of the D&D multiverse lying fallow, and they go with a setting from another game?! C'mon!

I get the thought behind it.
Magic the Gathering has a tonne of lore that never gets explored. This can do that. And there's a decent overlap between MtG and D&D fans, who will be excited by this book. And it might sell to MtG fans who don't play D&D, potentially getting them into D&D.
But that last point is targeting a potential audience over a real audience.

Man... and I thought I was disappointed by Tales from the Yawming Portal.

I imagine that's also the thought behind releasing it in November. So D&D players who don't care about MtG or Ravnica (which I have to look up how to spell each and every time, as I've never written that word before) will at least have the Waterdeep duology.

Never mind all the art assets from the card game. This and the Eberron book will be two of the cheapest books to produce for Wizards.

So, after the briefest of quick readthroughs... Wayfarer's looks excellent, both as crunch for updating Eberron races and dragonmarks, but as a very friendly primer on the world.

I have all the Eberron 3.5e and 4e books, yet the description of races, nations, and general life in Khorvaire looks like the best presentation I've seen.

Not to mention the setting-independent goldmine of roleplaying ideas and tips.

Take a look at the [b[]Everyone has Regrets[/b] and Why do you need 200gp tables.

Each nation has a brief write up of Interesting Things about that nation, as well as what citizens of that nation might be like.

"DM Lore" is kept hidden, to some extent, and doesn't clutter up the descriptions. The Lords of Dust are barely even mentioned as an organization.

Starting Points and A Quick Sharn Story are great inspiration for a campaign set in any world.

I'm very impressed, and this would be a useful document to anyone looking for ideas or spicing up any home campaign, whether you like Eberron or not.

That sounds very well done, especially for the "Interesting Things" part. I can only hope they get Greenwood to write up something similar for the non-Sword Coast areas of the Forgotten Realms...

Yaarel

He Mage
Well, according to Hasbro's 2018Q2 financial report, MtG is growing. Just searching for the word "magic" takes me to three references to revenue for MtG growing (up 14% in one reference).

https://investor.hasbro.com/news-re...reports-second-quarter-2018-financial-results

Skimming thru the link, it seems the 14% growth refers to a group of games in "Hasbros total gaming category". That said, it singles out Magic: The Gathering and Monopoly as having each experienced growth by an unspecified amount.

Remove ads

Remove ads