Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

SuperTD

Explorer
Crawford just confirmed on stream that there will be a lot of monsters for Ravnica - at his last count it is coming close to the amount in MToF. That's a lot of monsters for what looks like a smallish book!

My opinion is the franchises or IPs are being recycled for other fields. Hasbro made a lot of money with the movie of transformers, when it was an almost forgotten title. The background of MtG may be a gold mine in the right hands with a good videogame, cartoon or movie adaptation.

Do you think Innistrad will be mixed with Ravenloft?

Are you saying Wizard's didn't have confidence in their Magic the Gathering brand for the two decades they've owned D&D and never did crossovers?
Disney hasn't done a Marvel/Star Wars crossover. They must not be confident in those brands.

They are trying to generate more revenue.
Um... duh?

It's been the growth of D&D that's keeping Wizard's numbers not appearing as bad.
D&D has been doing well. Its numbers are still nowhere near Magic's, and could not prop it up.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I disagree. I know where you are coming from. I never played Eberron, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun--all of which have a rabid fan base here on EN World--but I would certainly like to see a 5e version of Greyhawk.

But the Ravnica setting makes sense to me. It is a brand new setting for D&D, taken from a more popular game with a lot of cross-over potential. It will hopefully attract new players to D&D and enough of us Grognards will pick it up if the quality is good and the content interesting.

Having the new Eberron Book in PDF and in D&D Beyond is a good model for other settings. Not everything can have a main print run. It would be nice, however, if they would allow print on demand.

POD would be terrible for the current book, it is not complete (it doesn't include the artificer yet) and the material is still play test material which will be updated once feedback has been received. It's essentially like buying an early access game off steam. Once the PDF is updated and complete, then POD will likely be available.

variant

Adventurer
Disney hasn't done a Marvel/Star Wars crossover. They must not be confident in those brands.

Um... duh?

D&D has been doing well. Its numbers are still nowhere near Magic's, and could not prop it up.

You are the one that stated the crossover shows confidence in the Magic the Gathering brand.

They are so confident in MTG that they seem to be reducing costs everywhere they can such as how they now reduced the prize support for Magic stores for prerelease events and removing direct sales for game stores.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
This is the first D&D setting book that's come out in years that I want to adventure in and the first new D&D setting in 15 years.

Its about time.

gyor

Legend
https://youtu.be/Xeyd6aJMImQ

D&D beyond video for Ravnica, they explain why of all MtG worlds they picked this one, they talk about Ravnica itself a bit, they do kind of explain how they are adding Ravnica to D&D, they colours are more philosophical abstractions apparently, like white is order and red passion.[video=youtube_share;Xeyd6aJMImQ]https://youtu.be/Xeyd6aJMImQ[/video]

CapnZapp

Legend
It's not all that confusing -- as long as D&D and Magic are different 'brands', the question becomes "who gets credit for the revenue?" Sure, it's got the D&D logo on it, but a significant part of the creative work was done by folks on the Magic team, and without a way to 'chargeback' those costs, the Magic folks would likely want to get credit for sales of material based on their work.

Clearly they've figured out how that process works now.
Only now?

I remain in my state of perplexity about the lack of MtG DnD content..

Rygar

Explorer
My opinion is the franchises or IPs are being recycled for other fields. Hasbro made a lot of money with the movie of transformers, when it was an almost forgotten title. The background of MtG may be a gold mine in the right hands with a good videogame, cartoon or movie adaptation.

Do you think Innistrad will be mixed with Ravenloft?

As Magic the Gathering, at last report, has been bleeding players at a pretty high rate, I don't think it's much of a goldmine. We don't know if it's flatlined yet or if it's worsening, but either way drops of as much as 30%-35% year over year is a really good sign that you shouldn't be using it as a basis for other products. Especially when you've been ignoring really popular settings in those other products for the past 5 years. Nevermind the obvious horrible business decision of using a failing product to create products in another line which are pretty much guaranteed to fail too, instead of making something that would've sold.

Honestly, I *strongly* doubt we'll see Innistrad mixed with Ravenloft. I suspect Magic the Gathering is tipping off a cliff, if it hasn't already, and WOTC will no longer have any major money generator. If we're lucky, D&D will be sold to Paizo. Most likely, Hasbro will put it in a valut and try to use it as a vehicle for TV shows or movies.

If Magic's continuing to lose players, and it's doing it in double digits, the clock is ticking and there's *very* little time on it.

CapnZapp

Legend
https://youtu.be/Xeyd6aJMImQ

D&D beyond video for Ravnica, they explain why of all MtG worlds they picked this one, they talk about Ravnica itself a bit, they do kind of explain how they are adding Ravnica to D&D, they colours are more philosophical abstractions apparently, like white is order and red passion.[video=youtube_share;Xeyd6aJMImQ]https://youtu.be/Xeyd6aJMImQ[/video]
Okay, so your guild is your background. Tries to listen closely, but nope - no mention of new crunch, only fluff. Random tables "your enemy is a nobleman" is not useful to me. And suggestions for abstract and generic adventure isn't my thing either.

If your guild had given you real actual abilities (ideally on several different levels), and they planned on releasing actual written adventures, I could have been more interested.

Of course, what I really want out of MtG is a replacement magic and spellcasting framework, replacing slots, that allows D&D characters to use mana of the five different colors to create effects.

Remove ads

Remove ads