D&D 5E RAW: Using Purify Food and Drink to cure a party member?

The spell can neutralize infectious pathogens, and poisons when these can causa damage by ingestion.

Some times I think some magical buildings, for example sacred temples, could create metamagic effects like some magic items. This shouldn't break the balance of the game because these can be used by PCs only in one place.

If it really necessary a low-level to create medicines is possible, but the effect would need more time, like in the real life, and the spellcaster should know what is the right medicine, or at least what strain/disease or poison is. If the wrong antidote was used, it could cause more damage.

unreal-engine-high-on-life-garmantuous-bts-1920x1080-f74b1782b16a.jpg

1694620039754.png

diana-rata-v-1556634402.jpeg

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If the wizard was a dragon, it would still do that by default given the extreme omnivore nature of D&D dragons.
Fair. Unless the dragon-wizard was writing the spell  for human wizards to cast.

I find that dragon handwriting is generally pretty poor, so I tend to avoid their scrolls.

A shaman gnoll could use it with a rabbit, or a pig, but we could find unexpected effects. For example the stomach couldn't produce more gastric juices (these are acid), and then it couldn't digest until new juices are produced by the stomach again.

Some deities could feel offended if the cleric used it at a sentient creature because the intentions could be misunderstood.

My suggestion is allowing the option of spending the spell to "load" a drink to work as potion (medicine or antidote).

Or the spell could change the state, from "poisoned" toward a softer "intoxicated".

I have just reviews the 3.5 healer class (I bought the book, nothing of pirate download) and any states aren't easy to be removed in the lowest levels. The game has been designed the PCs need a minimal level to use magic to remove those states.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
While this whole discussion is rather silly, one point is that spells in D&D are very specific and set.

This is unlike a lot of other systems where magic is up to the player to use their imagination.

Wizards research and create specific spells. They set that spell to memory and it does exactly what it is designed to do regardless of the caster.

The spell doesn't care about what the caster regards as food. And how does it know what is assumed to be food or not? It's magic. It knows.

Remove ads