Level Up (A5E) RAW vs RAE

Huntedown

Villager
I need help about some ruling.

We are just about to move to A5E, and one of the player is rolling an Orc Berzerker.
We also use the optional book Heavyarms - The complete Armorer's Handbook.

A5E: (Orc Feature, P.42) Mighty Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice an additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Armorer's Handbook (Weapon upgrade: Brutal, P.11) : When you attack with this weapon and roll the maximum result for the weapon’s damage dice, you can roll those dice again and add the new roll to the damage of the attack. If you roll the maximum amount again, you can repeat this process until you don’t.

Would Mighty Attacks benefit the brutal tag of the weapon and if the maximum damage is roll on the mighty attack

Any help would be appreciated

Dragongrief

Explorer
Based on the wording, I would say no. You would also want to roll the initial damage dice separate from critical dice since it says "the weapon damage dice" vs "any weapon damage dice."

The interpretation I get is that you need maximum damage from the base weapon damage to get the reroll and add effect.

mrianmerry

Villager
Is there a rules statement that declares weapon damage dice as not including critical hit damage? I'm fairly sure that in O5e they're the same thing, such as within the context of Great-Weapon Master that allows rerolling 1s and 2s, so if not defined otherwise in A5e they should be the same thing here too.

That said, Brutal is worded very... awkwardly.
roll the maximum result for the weapon’s damage dice, you can roll those dice again and add the new roll to the damage of the attack.
This implies to me that the reroll ability only applies when the total result is the maximum, not when individual die results are the maximum, which means the Mighty Attacks feature will actually make Brutal less likely to apply.

In my games, I'd choose to rule that Brutal applies to individual die rolls, which then would absolutely work with Mighty Attack.

dave2008

Legend
I would probably go with @mrianmerry's approach. Roll all damage dice, including mighty attack. If any of those dice are maxed - keep roll that specific die or dice again and again until they are no longer maxed and add them all up. Example:

the orc crits with a long sword: 1d10+1d10 (from crit)+1d10 (from mighty attacks).
the orc rolls: 5, 4, & 10.
Roll again for the 10 and get: 6
Total damage: 5+4+10+6 = 25 + ability and weapon modifiers

Huntedown

Villager
I was with @Dragongrief opinion.

But both the players and DM were pretty sure that the Migthy attack abilities would become exploding dice.

It's so hard to be the black sheep of the group 😓

Nevertheless thanks all for your opinions

Remove ads