D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Greyhawk and Dragonlance have historically been second tier in popularity of Classic Settinfs: in fact, there two top tier Settinfs that haven't been made for 5E yet, Planescape and Dark Sun, which is why I see those as plausible next steps. However, if Settonga continue to do well, I think Greyhawl will happen, and probably be better for waiting and thinking out an approach.
I would not be that certain that planescape is or would be more popular than Dragonlance.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would not be that certain that planescape is or would be more popular than Dragonlance.
This is from 2015, but I seriously doubt that Greyhawk or Dragonlance have become more popular (note that of the give top tier Settings, three gave gotten 5E books as of this May, leaving Dark Sun and Planescape while we coincidently wait on word for two more classic Settings):

"The popularity of settings in the survey fell into three distinct clusters. Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer all shared a similar level of second-tier popularity, followed by a fairly steep drop-off to the rest of the settings. My sense is that Spelljammer has often lagged behind the broad popularity of other settings, falling into love-it-or-hate-it status depending on personal tastes. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions. Of the top five settings, four require significant new material to function and the fifth is by far our most popular world."

Its what their dara showed, although DL novel fans that don't play D&D might not be taken into account, just as the Survey didn't take into account FR fans that love the novels and FR videos games, but don't play or collect D&D RPG books normally.

Yeah I saw that data. The data they don’t release would be more telling than what they do. How many people completed that survey and how representative is it of the people who buy their products?

Mercurius

Legend
Well, remember that Greyhawk also has nostalgia value for Millenials like myself: my first character was was a Half-Orc Paladin devoted to St. Cuthbert. Second-hamd nostalgia is also definitely a thing. It seems ideal for a 50th Anniversary celebration product, diving deep into classic fantasy tropes. Basically, make it the Appendix N genre book.
True, and that isn't far from my "Worlds of D&D" product. I've been mentioning the idea of a 50th anniversary Greyhawk box set for a couple years now, which would be a lot of fun. But I'd like to see them go all-out, like so:
  • 128-page World of Greyhawk Gazetteer (setting book, including NPCs)
  • 96-page City of Greyhawk book
  • 96-page Castle Greyhawk adventure
  • 96-page Adventuring in Greyhawk rules (monsters, gods, sub-classes, rules)
  • Cloth Darlene map
  • New map of world by Anne Meyer
  • City of Greyhawk map
  • Maps of Castle Greyhawk
  • Thick, deluxe box

I imagine such a product would run $100 or more, which would sell like hotcakes to older players but might lack interest from younger ones.

Do I think it will happen? Probably not, but it would be nice.

Mercurius

Legend
This is from 2015, but I seriously doubt that Greyhawk or Dragonlance have become more popular (note that of the give top tier Settings, three gave gotten 5E books as of this May, leaving Dark Sun and Planescape while we coincidently wait on word for two more classic Settings):

"The popularity of settings in the survey fell into three distinct clusters. Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer all shared a similar level of second-tier popularity, followed by a fairly steep drop-off to the rest of the settings. My sense is that Spelljammer has often lagged behind the broad popularity of other settings, falling into love-it-or-hate-it status depending on personal tastes. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions. Of the top five settings, four require significant new material to function and the fifth is by far our most popular world."
The player base has probably tripled or quadrupled since then, and a lot of those new players have no idea about older settings. Meaning, it is pretty meaningless, or only meaningful to older players (say, age 30+).

Remove ads

Remove ads