D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And an Asian setting will need them to cultivate y'know, actual Asian/Asian-American writers, which they are doing, but I'm not sure they're there yet. I expect it to happen eventually, but not soon immediately.
If they do Oriental Asian Adventures 5E, I expect and hope their new hire whose Kickstarted Filipino setting is about to get released will be part of it.

But it would not shock me in the least if WotC just steered clear of it this edition. There are a lot of updates they can do that aren't similar lightning rods for trouble.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So I guess I'm confused, if the third book is a dragon book, which does seem likely, does that mean the "two classic settings" thing was just an outright lie from WotC? Or are we going to get two in 2022? Which would seem a bit packed. Winniger said "three in the next year or two" in September last year (so nearly a year ago).
Stuff in the pipeline can and does get pushed. I had a piece, in my job, that my boss wanted published the week of May 30. At this point, it looks like it'll be going out the week of July 11 at the earliest, through nobody's fault.

I assume that some of the classic stuff they wanted to do -- which may not all be full settings, as I don't recall him being that explicit -- got pushed into next year. It's not impossible that something got cancelled, although I would assume they would come clean about that if that was the case, just to save themselves the outcry and gnashing of teeth later on.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alignment is almost entirely something that matters to planar creatures in 5E.

They can publish Planescape under 5E and be fine.

I would bet on a Van Richten's approach, though, with a single planar sourcebook that mentions Sigil, the City of Brass, etc., and has short treatments of the various planes, but nothing comparable to any given Planescape boxed set.

The biggest question would be how big the treatment would be for Sigil and what, if anything, they do with the state of affairs for the factions. I can easily see them mentioning that the factions exist, but not naming them, and leaving it at that, so that groups that want to roll back the end of the Faction War can do so and the ones who want to follow the storyline out further can as well. (I mean, every group can do whatever they want, but obviously, there's a big group that likes their take on things to be canonized.)
I would wager a very similar layout to Eberron, down to page count, with Factions getting a treatment like the Dragoonmark Houses (significant, but not exhaustive), the major Outer anes and Outlands as Khovaire, and Sigil as Sharn. That would majorly expand on the DMG Planar material, and be more than comparable to the 1E Manual of the Planes (one of my favorite thrift store finds).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just the usual suspects (including the one we have just got). I wouldn't read too much into it. I think is more interesting that only "some" have been asked for for a very long time. It implies that there are others that haven't been asked for.
Or there are one or two that the fans are particularly rabid for. I think every setting, except for Jakandor, has people asking for it.

The fairy is a pretty strange fit for traditional D&D fairy folk. I wouldn't be shocked if it and the hobgoblin were actually meant to be some other races. I don't play MTG (it took me a second to decipher what "AFR" was), but maybe there are some other MTG races whom the mechanics would make sense for, with other fluff.

We know Witchlight has player content, so the Feywild Folks UA is likely for that, although Owlfolk are likely to see reprinting in Strixhaven along with Minotaur, Leonin, Loxodon, and possibly Tortles, Grungs, Dhampirs, and maybe Goblins again.

Remove ads

Remove ads