D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
On the other hand, Dragonlance isn't going to draw in new people. Unless you're hardcore into D&D lore and the like, for all intents and purpsoes, FR, DL and Greyhawk are all just the one same thing. Sure, we know they have differences, but to the outsider looking in? "No, this isn't just Rise of Tiamat again, this is Tahkis who's just looks, completely identical to Tiamat"

Dark Sun, Planescape and Spelljammer all have their own themes that stand out as "Very blatently not the same thing", whereas FR, DL and Greyhawk fit in the same space of "Vaguely western medievalish"
I've been playing D&D for 37 years. I'd say I'm a fan. An insider. In the know. Etc. And I cannot really tell Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance apart. I know certain place names and character names go with certain settings and not others. But what the real difference was between them...not a damned clue.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've been playing D&D for 37 years. I'd say I'm a fan. An insider. In the know. Etc. And I cannot really tell Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance apart. I know certain place names and character names go with certain settings and not others. But what the real difference was between them...not a damned clue.
It's all about who the all-powerful wizards that dominate the fan conversation are.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
On the other hand, Dragonlance isn't going to draw in new people.
Completely disagree. As well, setting books don’t have to draw in new people, tbh. DL will sell.

But as for new players, there hasn’t been a setting presented as in the early days of a Great War, nor a setting defined by dragons, nor a setting defined by Cosmic Balance, nor one where gods may be absent at the start of a campaign or you can just play a whole campaign with no gods or divine magic. Just off the dome.

Beyond that, DL can be presented as a Romantic Fantasy setting, and a Romantic Fantasy world with war looming over it is not something 5e has done anything like. Beyond that, DL is a perfect time to introduce mass combat rules, subclasses for knightly orders, variant Spellcasting rules, rules for aerial combat, etc.
Unless you're hardcore into D&D lore and the like, for all intents and purpsoes, FR, DL and Greyhawk are all just the one same thing. Sure, we know they have differences, but to the outsider looking in? "No, this isn't just Rise of Tiamat again, this is Tahkis who's just looks, completely identical to Tiamat"

Dark Sun, Planescape and Spelljammer all have their own themes that stand out as "Very blatently not the same thing", whereas FR, DL and Greyhawk fit in the same space of "Vaguely western medievalish"
I don’t think that actually matters, tbh.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
But as for new players, there hasn’t been a setting presented as in the early days of a Great War, nor a setting defined by dragons, nor a setting defined by Cosmic Balance, nor one where gods may be absent at the start of a campaign or you can just play a whole campaign with no gods or divine magic. Just off the dome.
You're going too deep into this and not thinking on a marketting level. Look at what's out there already, they're two word thing. Elevator pitch these

FR: Basic, Medieval
Ravenloft: Horror
Eberron: Weird, Magipunk
Ravnica: Guilds, Megacity, MtG
Acq Incorporated and Rick & Morty: Comedy, draws in fans of the series
Wildemont: Critical Role
Theros: Ancient Greece, MtG

These are all vastly different themes and are scattergunning that audience appeal, grabbing different folks. Someone doesn't care for Eberron? Grab 'em with Ravenloft. Not a fan of Ravnica? Well, have they heard about the biggest D&D stream on Twitch and the book you can buy for it?

Elevator pitch Dragonlance to me and explain why how this is drawing more people. I am marketting manager and you've got me in the elevator as I head off to get my morning coffee and you've got minimum time to sell me on this and why I should prioritise it above anything else. What untapped market are we drawing in?

Eberron is literately on the cusp of a great war, so I'm not buying that early days of a great war thing given that's one of Eberron's themes.
Is Dragonlance defined by dragons? Eh, not really, its moreso defined by its heroes, plus, D&D already has a product that is "Hey look, dragons!". Its called Rise of Tiamat. I'm just saying, what most people remember from DL is its characters, not that it had dragons in there. Also do consider Dragonlance was the 'this setting has dragons!' setting in an age back in 2E, and nowerdays when you have Dragonborn as a pretty common playable race its probably a lot less of a pull than it was (unless we're talking council of wyrms because I continuing hoping that gets a revival even though I know it won't)
I'm not aware of any big communities who's thing is "Only reads stories dealing with cosmic balance" so I'm questioning on this being a sell, and, additionally, given how Dragonlance is, I'd honestly say is a negative at this point in time given how they're going with removing alignment. Plus, Dragonlance handles this... Poorly. You know how Ravenloft went, right? Dragonlance's ham-fisted approach to good versus evil gets debates to this day, when its not an actively produced book. It will stir contorversy like no one's business if they release a Dragonlance book
Eberron once again does the "Gods may be absent" thing

Beyond that, DL can be presented as a Romantic Fantasy setting, and a Romantic Fantasy world with war looming over it is not something 5e has done anything like. Beyond that, DL is a perfect time to introduce mass combat rules, subclasses for knightly orders, variant Spellcasting rules, rules for aerial combat, etc.
While an approach, it runs into the issue that this is hitting on that same "Here is western fantasy" thing. Nothing about FR prevents this type of thing and you're effectively competing against yourself with this

The ideas folks have for 'Do an Indian setting' jump out because they're new, fresh, and don't tread across the same ground. Rise of Tiamat and its reception is basically the same ground that Dragonlance will tread, except this time its a different world and you'll probably want to kill the gods and shatter their thrones by the end of it

I don’t think that actually matters, tbh.
If it didn't matter, then why do we have such vastly different settings thus far and not just retro ones? Companies want to bring new people into the hobby, and you don't do that by appealing just to nostalgia

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While an approach, it runs into the issue that this is hitting on that same "Here is western fantasy" thing. Nothing about FR prevents this type of thing and you're effectively competing against yourself with this
The hardcover 5E version of the best-known Romantic Fantasy setting, Blue Rose, is funded on Kickstarter, but isn't exactly setting the world on fire beyond that. I'm skeptical that there's a big untapped audience for the genre that isn't already covered with BR.

doctorbadwolf

You're going too deep into this and not thinking on a marketting level. Look at what's out there already, they're two word thing. Elevator pitch these
I don’t speak in elevator pitch, so my off the cuff synopsis of Dragonlance isn’t an elevator pitch. 🤷‍♂️

These are all vastly different themes and are scattergunning that audience appeal, grabbing different folks. Someone doesn't care for Eberron? Grab 'em with Ravenloft. Not a fan of Ravnica? Well, have they heard about the biggest D&D stream on Twitch and the book you can buy for it?
Each of these sells because it introduces elements that DMs and players can use in a homebrew campaign.
Elevator pitch Dragonlance to me and explain why how this is drawing more people. I am marketting manager and you've got me in the elevator as I head off to get my morning coffee and you've got minimum time to sell me on this and why I should prioritise it above anything else. What untapped market are we drawing in?
No. I don’t play these kinds of games, thanks.
Eberron is literately on the cusp of a great war, so I'm not buying that early days of a great war thing given that's one of Eberron's themes.
Eberron is a post war setting. It is explicitly not a setting where a war has begun, where people are being invaded, where war cannot be avoided.
Is Dragonlance defined by dragons? Eh, not really, its moreso defined by its heroes, plus, D&D already has a product that is "Hey look, dragons!". Its called Rise of Tiamat. I'm just saying, what most people remember from DL is its characters, not that it had dragons in there.
LOL
Also do consider Dragonlance was the 'this setting has dragons!' setting in an age back in 2E, and nowerdays when you have Dragonborn as a pretty common playable race its probably a lot less of a pull than it was (unless we're talking council of wyrms because I continuing hoping that gets a revival even though I know it won't)

I'm not aware of any big communities who's thing is "Only reads stories dealing with cosmic balance" so I'm questioning on this being a sell,
Okay, take a beat, reread what you wrote here. You see how completely nonsensical this is, right? When did “only reads XYZ” become a thing in any context? What on earth are you talking about?
and, additionally, given how Dragonlance is, I'd honestly say is a negative at this point in time given how they're going with removing alignment. Plus, Dragonlance handles this... Poorly. You know how Ravenloft went, right? Dragonlance's ham-fisted approach to good versus evil gets debates to this day, when its not an actively produced book. It will stir contorversy like no one's business if they release a Dragonlance book
Yeah they definitely don’t ever change anything about settings in a new edition.
Eberron once again does the "Gods may be absent" thing
Don’t cherry-pick, respond to the whole statement, not half of it. Otherwise, don’t respond to me. Eberron does not, on any level, do what I described.
If you think this matters for which classic settings will get published in 5e, you’re on a long walk.
The ideas folks have for 'Do an Indian setting' jump out because they're new, fresh, and don't tread across the same ground. Rise of Tiamat and its reception is basically the same ground that Dragonlance will tread, except this time its a different world and you'll probably want to kill the gods and shatter their thrones by the end of it
What a new setting will bring has nothing to do with the question of whether a classic setting will be redone in 5e.
If it didn't matter, then why do we have such vastly different settings thus far and not just retro ones? Companies want to bring new people into the hobby, and you don't do that by appealing just to nostalgia
Who said anything about just appealing to nostalgia?

Look, if you think there is a chance DL won’t be published in 5e, put your money where your mouth is. $20.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
No. I don’t play these kinds of games, thanks.
Then any speculation will be just blind speculation not based on anything concrete. You gotta put your mind into "If I was a corporate at WotC deciding what setting should be pushed to get maximum money, what would I push?". Otherwise its all of the weight behind it of a Super Smash Bros wishlist with no consideration of what Nintendo or other companies are concerned about

Look, if you think there is a chance DL won’t be published in 5e, put your money where your mouth is. $20.
Oh, there's a chance it'll be published. I just can't see it being priority when Wizard's entire approach has been on expanding on new rather than doubling down on retro settings. There's a reason we got 'wizard school' as a setting and it invovles a certain big, market media franchise (along with possibly a certain popular D&D podcast trying the idea and, well, massively failing with it) that you can get more new customers from

I'll call it now: that the Dragonlance novel is going to be the testbed. If that does well, there'll be Dragonlance stuff. If that does poorly or has internet drama tied to it, then WotC will go 'well we tried to stop it', wipe their hands of it, and there won't be Dragonlance

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Then any speculation will be just blind speculation not based on anything concrete. You gotta put your mind into "If I was a corporate at WotC deciding what setting should be pushed to get maximum money, what would I push?". Otherwise its all of the weight behind it of a Super Smash Bros wishlist with no consideration of what Nintendo or other companies are concerned about.
If I were them, I'd license out every scrap of IP possible to as many other gaming companies as possible. If WotC isn't going to use, say Dragonlance, any time soon, they're leaving money on the table by not getting Green Ronin or someone else to pay for the privilege of publishing books for that IP.
Oh, there's a chance it'll be published. I just can't see it being priority when Wizard's entire approach has been on expanding on new rather than doubling down on retro settings.
Except for Eberron and Ravenloft. And Greyhawk. And Forgotten Realms.
There's a reason we got 'wizard school' as a setting and it invovles a certain big, market media franchise (along with possibly a certain popular D&D podcast trying the idea and, well, massively failing with it) that you can get more new customers from.
Right. Leave it to WotC to wait...14 years since the final Harry Potter book and...ten years after the final main character film...and a year after the author, JK Rowling, came out as virulently anti-trans before they do a Totally Not Harry Potter setting...and with WotC trying super, duper hard to clean up their image re: inclusion, etc. Perfect timing as always, Wizards.
I'll call it now: that the Dragonlance novel is going to be the testbed. If that does well, there'll be Dragonlance stuff. If that does poorly or has internet drama tied to it, then WotC will go 'well we tried to stop it', wipe their hands of it, and there won't be Dragonlance.
Beyond the already existing internet drama you mean?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Right. Leave it to WotC to wait...14 years since the final Harry Potter book and...ten years after the final main character film...and a year after the author, JK Rowling, came out as virulently anti-trans before they do a Totally Not Harry Potter setting...and with WotC trying super, duper hard to clean up their image re: inclusion, etc. Perfect timing as always, Wizards.
Oh, I was implying Adventure Zone's recent... Let's call it a kerfluffle. Not pulling CR numbers but, MBMBAM isn't exactly a small podcast and they certainly... Tried to do a magic school.

Beyond the already existing internet drama you mean?
We know what happened when Kara Tur got put up on DMs Guild.

Dragonlance is a ticking time-bomb of drama for a Youtuber to just tear into. If it gets more of a light shone on it its going to be an event for sure

doctorbadwolf

Then any speculation will be just blind speculation not based on anything concrete. You gotta put your mind into "If I was a corporate at WotC deciding what setting should be pushed to get maximum money, what would I push?". Otherwise its all of the weight behind it of a Super Smash Bros wishlist with no consideration of what Nintendo or other companies are concerned about

Oh, there's a chance it'll be published. I just can't see it being priority when Wizard's entire approach has been on expanding on new rather than doubling down on retro settings. There's a reason we got 'wizard school' as a setting and it invovles a certain big, market media franchise (along with possibly a certain popular D&D podcast trying the idea and, well, massively failing with it) that you can get more new customers from

I'll call it now: that the Dragonlance novel is going to be the testbed. If that does well, there'll be Dragonlance stuff. If that does poorly or has internet drama tied to it, then WotC will go 'well we tried to stop it', wipe their hands of it, and there won't be Dragonlance
They are working on 3 classic settings. Nothing you’re saying about them “focusing on new stuff” matters in discussion about which ones they will be. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads

Remove ads