D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

hopeless

Adventurer
Didn't get too far into the pdf copy of Strongholds & Followers book that I picked up.
Castles and Crusades was more like ad&d 1e wasn't it?
Or am I mixing that up with something else?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Castles & Crusades is basically 3E, stripped back to make it feel as much like 1E as possible (no skills or feats by default, for instance), with some house rules -- spell-less rangers and paladins by default, although you can add those back in with class-and-a-half multiclassing.

For someone like me, who grew up with 1E and noped out of 4E, it was a great fit.

It's also phenomenally compatible with OD&D through 3E, to the point that I could convert monsters, magic items and spells on the fly during games.

My opinion is the best way to promote old lines are the "iconic heroes".

dnd-party-jpg.115614

My doubts is who is going to produce the future D&D movies or streaming series. Now Hasbro has got a deal with Paramount, but this will end in some years. Then the next partner could be Netflix, Disney or Paramount again.

Aerial combat.

And... OK, I'm not a fan, but that's all I can think of.
The Knights of Solamnia were kind of fun and almost original back in their day.

Errrr Draconians are better basic enemies than most humanoids for a variety of reasons.

Hmmmmm thinking hard - maybe Taladas rocked and only exists because Dragonlance does, but it's not quite Dragonlance.

The Irda provide an absolute magnet for both powergamers and power-trip-roleplayers so it's really easy to identify them?

They created Tinker Gnomes so others settings didn't have to? I'm really reaching now.

I think I'm out.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The Knights of Solamnia were kind of fun and almost original back in their day.

Errrr Draconians are better basic enemies than most humanoids for a variety of reasons.

Hmmmmm thinking hard - maybe Taladas rocked and only exists because Dragonlance does, but it's not quite Dragonlance.

The Irda provide an absolute magnet for both powergamers and power-trip-roleplayers so it's really easy to identify them?

They created Tinker Gnomes so others settings didn't have to? I'm really reaching now.

I think I'm out.
also, only one set of gods for everyone, really trying to reinvent some races(they failed but hay they tried)

hopeless

Adventurer
Depends when they want to set this as a setting as after a certain period Kender lose their fearlessness and a number of the gods die for various reasons.
Please note this is stuff I'm recalling so don't accept as gospel as I'd rather be wrong from what i recall.

This has got an easy solution: Pam awakes and she discovers Sturm, the Solamnian knight, in the shower. He is not dead, everything that happened was only a horrible nightmare!

dallas3.png

OMG! Youngest generations will not understand what I am talking about.

---

A reboot of Dragonlance is possible, but too risky. The modules, a possible videogame, or even a future production for a streaming service, could alter the canon, but they are too many novels to be "descanoniced", become non-canon now. Maybe the idea of parallel timelines in the comple D&D multiverse could fix some retcons, but a mistake is enough to cause a "jumping the shark effect".

Another idea? Opening Dragonlance in the DM-Guild, and allowing non-canon alternate timelines to test the reaction by the fandom. Other idea is to insert the "isekai" option. Characters from Gamma World or some d20 Modern setting know the books, believeing they are only fiction. Then something happen and they appear "within the novels". Really they aren't in the original Krynn, but an "akashic realm", a demiplane (within the Feywild?) working as a "theme park". Then the "visitors" or intruders can interfere with the events of the books (Do you know the miniserie "Lost in Austin"? You can imagine the consequences) but the original timeline isn't altered by these "isekai".

If we chat about retcons, I wonder how would be Raitslin with tribal tatoos on the face, caused by Fistandantilus' curse. (And this becomes dark lord of Neo-Sithicus).

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads