D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's full of expys for various groups of indigenous peoples (plus ancient Egypt, which they could also manage to make offensive). Unless you stripped out the human and near-human residents, and just filled it with dinosaurs and other "extinct" animals, I think it's as tough to do right as many other TSR settings with non-Western characters in the mix.
It's a less well-known setting, though, so they could strip out the badly-done cultures and replace them with different, non-expy cultures (plus getting sensitivity readers where necessary) and you wouldn't upset the fans all that much or at all.

Faolyn

(she/her)
ah, those things have more in common than you would think but that might be because I am insane.
Like what? I've read both settings and I see very little in common. OK, in 3e or maybe 4e they added mind flayer nautiloids and maybe gith ships to the Astral, but that's way after both settings had their day.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's a less well-known setting, though, so they could strip out the badly-done cultures and replace them with different, non-expy cultures (plus getting sensitivity readers where necessary) and you wouldn't upset the fans all that much or at all.
I don't know that there's enough passion for a sub-setting of Mystara to make it worth doing, especially in that case. If you want a Lost World setting, just do one in some other world. (Rehabilitate some of the sketchier parts of Xen'drik, for example.)

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't know that there's enough passion for a sub-setting of Mystara to make it worth doing, especially in that case. If you want a Lost World setting, just do one in some other world. (Rehabilitate some of the sketchier parts of Xen'drik, for example.)
Maybe not. But it is a classic setting, it's a concept that can be used in any other setting, and it has some potential for interesting weirdness.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have no interest in dragonlance as a setting........other than a really good multi-year streaming show or new novels that tell new stories.

I think I like it. Maybe not enough to replace why is there.

it has a an evil overlord, whoa could easily be it’s prisoner.
People can end up their accidentally.
People can find it very difficult to leave.

what is the illusion that people present suffer from? Is it the illusion they can have any impact on the universe? Or the illusion thier philosophies really mean anything at all?
My current favorite fan-theory is that Ravenloft exists as a series of failed attempts by the Dark Powers to recreate the relationship between the Lady of Pain and Sigil.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases