Re-learning how to GM generic fantasy - suggestions wanted

Philip Francis

First Post
I'm currently running a 13th Age game which is the first D&D style game I have run since the early 90s when I was running Basic / Expert set rules. I'm loving how easy 13th Age is for the GM in combat and by really supporting story development. However, I feel like I'm missing part of the flavour of a true D&D style game as I haven't really worked in much by way of traps and hazards. Part of the problem is that my players are uncomfortable with the descriptive elements of using a montage to bypass obstacles and a larger part is that I now lack the time to spend coming up with creative puzzles or traps.

I'm looking for suggestions for either books, web sites or recollections from your own games of puzzles and traps that had a strong story element (as 13th Age will resolve most things with a single roll and I don't want to bog the game down with dice rolling to bypass hazards).

If it helps suggest ideas the group are heading to a Frozen North to try and trick or enlist the Frost Giants into fighting against the invading orc hordes.

Bud23

Villager
When I did something similar, I went back to old D&D (and AD&D) modules by TSR and Judges Guild, and also read adventures and articles from back issues of Dragon Magazine and White Dwarf.
For traps - Grimtooth's Guide can't be beat.
Game on!

Remove ads