• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

re: rich baker's dark sun chat on 12/14

hailstop

First Post
Divine power source...gone.

Preserving arcane spells is default, but arcane casters get an at will power that allows them to defile with Daily powers which hurts your allies in addition to killing plants.

Thrikreen are PC race, have four arms but two of them are 'weak'.

Dark Sun specific weapons will be described.

There will be a Dragon King epic destiny.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Any new info on the new Dark Sun setting?
A little bit for those who have been mining every dribble for news, such as these gleaned from the chat:

Dragon king epic destiny? Yes.
Thri kreen nerfage? Yes, with weak itty-bitty arms that cannot wield weapons and bite removed.
Unique DS weapons coming back? Yup, cahulaks, carrikals, gouges, chatkcha, widow's blade, dragon's paw.
Defiling vs. preserving? All arcane are default preservers with a defiling at-will ability useable only on daily powers.
Divine?Boom, gone. These are not the leaders you are looking for. Go look at warlords, bards, and ardents. (unsaid . . . and shamans?)
Spelljammer 4e? Rumblings . . . maybe . . .

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Very cool.

4e DarkSun keeps sounding better and better. I like the Dragon King epic destiny approach, and I have to wonder if there will also be an Avangion (or however you spell it) ED. I'm glad they made thri-kreen balanced with other races- in 2e, there wasn't much reason NOT to play one.

I do wish they had touched on a few other things, to wit:

-Is metal as rare as it was in the 2e DS stuff? If so, what are the mechanical effects of using bone, wood, etc. weapons?

-Is the environment as deadly? Will there be "dehydration" encounters that can actually kill the pcs?

-What about elemental clerics? Are they going to be absent, or will they be from PH 4 or whenever they come out with the Elemental power source?

Remove ads