• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach Attacks

Hervis

Explorer
Thanks guys. this really helped.

The hurling question is kind of moot for me at this point because I failed to notice that Hill Giants are only large and would have a problem picking up a human. If he used his huge greatclub to disarm the fighter at 10' away he could do a pretty good job.

Here's my take vs. a ftr5 with a 17 strength and a Greatsword and Weapon Focus

Giant attempts to disarm fighter provoking AoO.

The only action the fighter can attempt is to sunder the club as it comes in. Even with a crit he cant do enough to sunder it (hard 5 60hp) so we move on

Giant rolls d20+16 + 4 for having a larger weapon

Fighter rollls d20 + 9 + 4 for weapon in two hands.

If giant wins - fighter disarmed
If fighter wins he can try to disarm the giant

Artoomis

First Post
KarinsDad:

Once agin, you are taking rules out of context.. See page 122 BEFORE you look at any rules regarding specific actions that draw AoOs and it becomes clear.

An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened area provokes an attack of opportunity from you.

Disarm is an action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

I quoted the glossary originally for convenience, but if you read ALL the rules of Attacks of Opportunity, you see the glossary provides a very neat and very accurate summary.

I agree with your logic on why you should get an AoO, and I think it applies to weapons as well (though you could only attack the weapon - disarm or sunder). This approach makes the most sense and, I think, stays with the overall intent of attacks of opportunity, if not the literal rule.

So, can a human using a Ranseur, let's say, be disarmed by a human with a longsword having failed his own disarm attempt? I can understand a sunder as an AoO.

As for AoO on the Giant, do we really want to find the AC of his arm? During an attack?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hervis said:
The only action the fighter can attempt is to sunder the club as it comes in. Even with a crit he cant do enough to sunder it (hard 5 60hp) so we move on

Unless this is a living club, it's immune to crits.

Crothian

First Post
Staldin*Freefall said:
So, can a human using a Ranseur, let's say, be disarmed by a human with a longsword having failed his own disarm attempt? I can understand a sunder as an AoO.

As for AoO on the Giant, do we really want to find the AC of his arm? During an attack?

His arm has the swame AC of his body. D20 doesn't differ between differnt AC's of body parts. Not that they do called shots either. I say you get no AoO on him. It's the advantage of reach. You need to be able to attack his bpody, not his limbs.

Crothian

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Unless this is a living club, it's immune to crits.

A living club. THat's an intersting thought. It's running up the Hill Giants arm cause is doesn't want to get slammed into the little human.

IanB

First Post
I'm with Artoomis on this one - disarms provoke an attack of opportunity, but that attack of opportunity is still subject to whatever the basic rules are for attacks of opportunity, which are pretty clearly spelled out.

Now, I'd probably fudge it if we were talking about a hill giant monk who actually had to stick his hand near the fighter's sword to try a disarm, but it seems eminently reasonable to me that a hill giant with an 8' greatclub would be able to try a disarm without getting close enough to be stabbed.

Darklone

Hervis said:
Thanks guys. this really helped.

Giant rolls d20+16 + 4 for having a larger weapon

Fighter rollls d20 + 9 + 4 for weapon in two hands.

If giant wins - fighter disarmed
If fighter wins he can try to disarm the giant

You forgot to add that the hill giant has to use his huge club in two hands too since he is LARGE. That's another +4 for the giant.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You forgot to add that the hill giant has to use his huge club in two hands too since he is LARGE. That's another +4 for the giant.

No, it isn't.

You only get the two-hand bonus when you're defending against a Disarm.

'cos it's harder to get it off you, y'know?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads