• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Read Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville

Chaldfont

First Post
If you have not yet read these books, do so now. Drop everything, go to the book store. Buy these books. Then, plan to do nothing but turn pages for the next several days.

If Mieville had submitted the setting in these books to WotC, there would be no need for them to read all of the submissions...

Chaldfont

First Post
No comments? Has no one read these?

They are packed full of great campaign ideas: interesting character races (imagine playing a cactus), nice mix of 19th century technology with magic treated as though it were technology, creepy monsters (the insane extra-planar spider named the weaver).

And who wouln't want a "Possible Sword" for their Ftr/Rog?

Gizzard

First Post
I read "Perdido Street Station" and thought it was the best thing I read this year. ("Chronoliths" was a close second; much tighter and more focused, but not as wildly ambitious or imaginative.)

As a matter of fact, I expect to vote for "Perdido Street" in about 2 hours on the Hugo ballot. ;-)

But anyway, I havent gotten around to The Scar or his first (?) novel, King Rat. They are on my list though.

Also, its been discussed on these boards before; China Meiville actually played D&D at one time and if you re-read the last part of the book you'll definitely feel the influence. Theres a quote in there about the mercenaries that is a bit jarring actually if you dont play D&D; its something along the lines of:

"I know that type of scum. They'll do anything for treasure and experience."

("Why is he talking about experience? Wouldnt '...for treasure and thrills' make more sense?", asks the non-D&D player.)

Also, I personally felt that the final scene with the Vodyanoi adventurer was an indulgence; perhaps a fond goodbye to a beloved character. I'd be curious to ask the author about this.

Last edited:

jaults

First Post
Chaldfont said:
    the insane extra-planar spider named the weaver.
    Exceptional books. The Weaver was, in my opinion, the coolest character in that book. I am about 50 pages into The Scar...

Jason

Chaldfont

First Post
He did play for a few years as a teenager. If you are interested, there is a yahoogroups mailing list about his books that he frequents. On it, he talks about writting an "Encyclopedia of Bas-Lag".

I am thinking about statting up some of the things in his book for my campaign. If I do, I will definitely post them here.

chalf.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I had a chance to meet China Mieville last week, and we spoke briefly about D&D (I gave him a copy of my book, natch). He's every bit as articulate as you'd expect from his brilliant novels, and was very open about the influence D&D and other rpgs have had on his writing.

All in all, a very cool, very impressive guy.

--Erik

Undead Pete

First Post
Definitely!!

I've read King Rat. Excellent as well....set in a twisted Modern London.

I'm currently rereading Perdido Street Station, and it's even better the second time. I'll be picking up The Scar later today.

.....and I already have "yoinked" some of the plot devices for my campaign.

For example, one of the local amoral kingdoms (read....Lawful Evil to the core) use Remaking as punishment. If my PC's ever break the law, you can be sure they'll be subject to that.

I'd also like to see a variety of the races converted to d20.

Remove ads