• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Realistic Consequences vs Gameplay

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
But again, to go back to what I said prior, if something exogenous isn't imposing its will upon you (in this case the resolution mechanics) and making your conception of self subordinate to that power in this moment (as happens in real life)...and you're making an active choice to pantomime (or not) the subordination of self to that power...then how are you remotely inhabiting your PC?

So, you're saying that if I'm projecting myself into the character I'm roleplaying, in a manner similar to a novelist (or plausibly an actor, but I'm less familiar with acting and novelist seems more apropos anyway), but I don't have something on my character sheet that describes the character's internal and external conflicts in a way that allows the GM to impose things on my character, that I'm not roleplaying? That would seem to mean that in the 5E campaigns I run, when I tell the players I don't need to see the Traits and such on their sheets--that I think of them as helpful for the players, not the DM--those players aren't roleplaying (when I can see them doing it around the table). I must be misunderstanding something, because that not only seems incorrect, it seems out of character for you.

This is an aspect of these conversations that get extremely difficult and entangled. It is because people claim to want (a) verisimilitude/immersion/PC habitation, (b) they want agency, and (c) they want coherent incentive structures (as you cite directly below, which I'll address in a moment). However, you've got all of the following in a moment where a PC could legitimately have their will (through exogenous forces - social pressures perhaps - interacting with endogenous forces - the endocrine system) become subordinate to another character through mundane interaction:

• complete autonomy (as in your second quoted bit) in this moment which must utterly defeat the actual realities of (a) and (b)
  • an incentive structure that completely pushes back against even the pantomiming of becoming mundanely charmed/intimidated/mentally undone

Yeah. It's complicated.

First, my second quoted bit isn't about wanting complete autonomy (as I understand that term). It's about wanting opposition in the fiction to feel as though it's in the fiction. The GM applying a rule to cause my character to do something doesn't feel as though it's coming from the fiction. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if a character in Champions Berserked--I paid for something with that Disadvantage, let's earn those points.

I'm also not (I think pretty clearly) objecting to my character being charmed/intimidated/mentally undone by something in the fiction. I might have moments of humorous grumbling when a game has as its only Fear Effect running in terror--my comment is always: "What about pull the trigger until it clicks?"--but in that specific instance I both understand why the rule is as it is (being frightened and panicky should not be an advantage) and am willing to play within the rules as they are.

This is what I was trying to get at in my prior post. If you're just pantomiming becoming mentally undone (because you want it it "feel like my character" vs what actually happens in real life where when you succumb to something external to your conception of self...that sure as hell isn't something you identify with!...it feels as if you're a stranger to yourself!)...how is that remotely immersive...its literally the opposite of what happens in real life? Further, you're completely discincentivized in doing so (which you cite as a problem directly below). You don't identify this as a system issue?

Yeah. I know about this in my real life. If it's going to be in my pretend life, I need it to be tightly circumscribed; I absolutely do not need or want it to be imposed from outside the fiction.

I've GMed Fate somewhere around 6-10 times, so I'm quite familiar with the machinery and its context, holistically, in the game at large. Further still, I'm very familiar with the tech as it interfaces with other systems.

You're arguing for a misaligned incentive structure here. 2 things:

1) I would like you to address the incentive structure issue I cite directly above (which you don't cite as an issue...particularly how it is at tension with PC habitation/immersion/verisimilitude). I don't know how the two sit alongside each other.

2) With respect, I don't think you either have enough experience with Fate and/or games that have similar tech.

I GMed probably thirty or forty sessions of Spirit of the Century, in a homebrewed setting we worked up using the systems in the Dresden Files RPG, and I GMed and played probably twenty sessions of Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition, in which Hero Points are at least something like Fate Points. I'll admit that my personality probably isn't right for Fate, but I am not speaking from ignorance.

How is having a decision imposed on you from outside the fiction immersive? It's not arising naturally from the fiction or the GM wouldn't need to Compel you to put it there. The GM is putting it there because they want to shape the scene or the story that way.

a) You're isolating one aspect of the incentive structure of Compels and the Fate Point Economy and claiming everything is downstream from that. Its not. The reality is, you have three other competing forces that can, and do, push back against that claim (thereby working back upstream toward some equilibrium). (1) Players have a conception of their character that they're interested in testing to possibly realize within the fiction. If you accept every Compel, you're significantly diminishing those prospects (likely to completion). (2) Players have an interest in interesting outcomes and an obligation to the table toward interesting story creation. This will absolutely push back toward accepting every Compel. (3) Players who accept every compel will get themselves into a ridiculous positive feedback loop of trouble...thereby knocking themselves out of scenes routinely...thereby actively limiting their impact on the trajectory of play overall and (1) and (2) above.

So, no, the incentive structures of the game aren't set up such that play isn't the product of this avalanche of "Compel-Acceptance" as you're forecasting it (not to mention the diminishing returns of "swimming in Fate Points" which is the paradigm you're creating here). Its not that way before play and its certainly not that way during play. If your limited play featured that, it had to have been a product of some serious misunderstanding of both the apex play priority of the system and the feedback loops of play by the table participants.

I liked Fate, a lot, more or less right up to the moment when I didn't, at all.

It's possible that there was some misunderstanding of the game at the table, at some level other than rules-understanding. And it's possible that some of my frustration with Fate is shaped by that, as well as what started as a reluctance to Compel the PCs and turned into a refusal to Compel them, because of how I know I'd react to being Compelled.

My feelings on the Fate Point Economy, though, aren't based on its failures in my campaign. It seems to me as though it's too easy to break, either with scarcity or plenitude. I don't really like the interpersonal dynamics of the Compel mechanic, since it's based on the GM proposing it--unlike Hero Points in Mutants and Masterminds, where the Drawbacks and Complications come up in play and thereby generate Hero Points. Because the Fudge dice average so strongly, the only chance you have to exceed your skill level is to spend Fate Points, which makes them too valuable to use to Declare Details, which doesn't seem to make the trade (player gives up some authority over their character; GM give up some authority over the framing) worthwhile.

b) There are endless examples of other systems that have competing incentive structures (like the above) that yield a dynamic play experience (both in decision-points and in the fiction that emerges from gamestate changes). Players aren't constantly trying to fail in BW/TB and DW nor are they constantly trying to put d4 Traits/Relationships (et al) in their dice pools in Dogs nor are they constantly trying to make Action Rolls against Desperate Position in Blades because that is a significant portion of the xp > Advancement paradigm in those games. Success is important to both your conception of your PC and the trajectory of play. But this incentive structure tension creates a cognitive space for players (and attendant level of agency) that is filled with conflict and emotion. "Yeah, I'm going to bring my brother's death into this situation because it emboldens me...but it also makes me reckless as hell....eff it. For Brendon <pulls out Colt revolver>."

I have seen--and played--characters who would do essentially what you have at the end of this paragraph, in games like D&D or COC or Savage Worlds (which IIRC also doesn't have the kinds of metagame incentives you're talking about here). I personally don't see those mechanics as helpful to roleplay, or necessary. Obviously, opinions can and will vary on that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I disagree, at least for a game like D&D. When a player makes a declaration the DM certainly has the option to insert an "are you sure about that" moment.
Sure, but that doesn't change the commitment level of the declaration. If the player says "No, I'm not sure" then the declaration is in effect voided and nothing happens in the fiction at all. If the player says "Yes I'm sure" then over the side goes the PC, no questions asked.

It's pretty standard play to outline consequences and then ask for confirmation. I don't do it all the time, but I would in cases where I suspect the player may have some misconceptions about levels of success required.
I do the same, particuarly when I'm concerned my description may have been faulty or misinterpreted.

That said, both as DM and player I've been involved in some horrific arguments over the years where no matter how much clarification and further description was given or how many "Are you sure"s were asked, the player saw one thing in his imagination while the DM was trying to describe another; and some action based on the player's interpretation that the player thought would be easy as pie ended up getting the PC killed.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ah but go back and look at why I brought this up in the first place. I was saying it in response to Max telling me that the DM in 5E can’t apply consequences to a failed roll. He said:

So I took the example of a jump and decided how that would work. Skidding to a halt is the only way that I can see a PC not succeed at a jump while facing no further consequences for the failure.
I think this rather obviously depends on whether failure carries any built-in consequences.

In the case of a failed jump the built-in consequence is falling or some variant thereon, which should be obvious to all involved.
In the case of failure to pick a lock the consequences might very well be nothing at all, the door or chest simply remains locked.

So, you're saying that if I'm projecting myself into the character I'm roleplaying, in a manner similar to a novelist (or plausibly an actor, but I'm less familiar with acting and novelist seems more apropos anyway), but I don't have something on my character sheet that describes the character's internal and external conflicts in a way that allows the GM to impose things on my character, that I'm not roleplaying? That would seem to mean that in the 5E campaigns I run, when I tell the players I don't need to see the Traits and such on their sheets--that I think of them as helpful for the players, not the DM--those players aren't roleplaying (when I can see them doing it around the table). I must be misunderstanding something, because that not only seems incorrect, it seems out of character for you.

Don't have time to read and comment on the other parts of the post, but I wanted to clarify this right quick before I leave.

Misunderstanding.

I used immersion/habitation/verisimilitude rather than roleplaying because they are discrete things from one another. The prior 3 are states of mind/being/emotion while the latter is a discipline. One can be playing a roleplaying game and one can roleplay with those prior 3 states reduced or missing entirely (like someone operationalizing a formula).

Further, many on this site and in this conversation (I'm pretty sure you amongst them) have championed those states of mind/being/emotion as a virtue or even a play priority (perhaps THE apex play priority) of your gaming.

So my take on the machinery here is as follows:

* Being compelled to act outside of one's conception of self (or even one's own self-interest) by exogenous, mundane forces is fundamental to being a highly evolved social animal like a human.

* Being mundanely compelled by an exogenous force is not volitional.

* If TTRPGs want this experience to emulate the emotional/mental state (both in the moment and upon review) of this social transaction, thereby engendering habitation, then the resolution machinery needs to also be non-volitional.

* Having a choice (to decide to pantomime a state or refuse to pantomime) is volitional.

* Therefore non-volitional resolution and imposition of state is cognitively much closer to what happens in real life and therefore has as good a chance as there can be to engender habitation while resolution that comes with volition and the choice to pantomime (or not) can't possibly engender habitation.

Hopefully that is more clear. TLDR:

Habitation is not roleplaying (and vice versa).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
First, why can’t the DM just give all the mechanical info to the players? The way you preface that idea with “unless” makes it sound like you think this typically shouldn’t be done. Why not?
Because the PCs in the fiction wouldn't know this info except in the most general of terms, thus the players at the table shouldn't know it either except in the same most general of terms.

The dragon's scales look thick, hard and tough.

That's what the PCs see, so that's all the players need to know.

prabe

Supporter
Don't have time to read and comment on the other parts of the post, but I wanted to clarify this right quick before I leave.

Misunderstanding.

I used immersion/habitation/verisimilitude rather than roleplaying because they are discrete things from one another. The prior 3 are states of mind/being/emotion while the latter is a discipline. One can be playing a roleplaying game and one can roleplay with those prior 3 states reduced or missing entirely (like someone operationalizing a formula).

Further, many on this site and in this conversation (I'm pretty sure you amongst them) have championed those states of mind/being/emotion as a virtue or even a play priority (perhaps THE apex play priority) of your gaming.

I figured I was misunderstanding you, because for the reasons I mentioned it didn't seem plausible that you were saying what my brain was telling me you were saying. Thanks for clearing that up. If anything else in my earlier response seems overly defensive, please take that misunderstanding into account.

So my take on the machinery here is as follows:

* Being compelled to act outside of one's conception of self (or even one's own self-interest) by exogenous, mundane forces is fundamental to being a highly evolved social animal like a human.

* Being mundanely compelled by an exogenous force is not volitional.

* If TTRPGs want this experience to emulate the emotional/mental state (both in the moment and upon review) of this social transaction, thereby engendering habitation, then the resolution machinery needs to also be non-volitional.

* Having a choice (to decide to pantomime a state or refuse to pantomime) is volitional.

* Therefore non-volitional resolution and imposition of state is cognitively much closer to what happens in real life and therefore has as good a chance as there can be to engender habitation while resolution that comes with volition and the choice to pantomime (or not) can't possibly engender habitation.

Hopefully that is more clear. TLDR:

Habitation is not roleplaying (and vice versa).

Yes, I'm probably one of the people you're thinking of, who's described being in the character as a preferred play priority.

Yes. I agree that it is possible to be motivated--possibly even compelled--by forces inside and outside the character, and that that motivation or compulsion isn't strictly a matter of choice. I agree that immersion and habitation are different things from roleplaying--possibly helpful, but different. Verisimilitude is less a state of mind to me, but I'll agree that something "seeming realistic" (as opposed to "being realistic") is different from roleplaying.

I don't think I believe that in order to project oneself into a character, to understand that character, to behave in-fiction as they would, it's necessary to have those compulsions applied from outside the game. Any writer of fiction who has been surprised by the behavior of a character whose story he was writing seems likely to understand my point of view, here: I've recently been surprised by the decisions of at least one character I was playing, who ended up behaving in arguably suboptimal ways that made some sense looking back.

Even if compulsion from outside the fiction was a good way to model the forces you're talking about, I'm not sure it would make for good game play, and it might not make for verisimilitude for a player who doesn't know about (or buy) the current neuroscience--it's not going to seem believable to them if it doesn't fit their theory of mind.

prabe

Supporter
Because the PCs in the fiction wouldn't know this info except in the most general of terms, thus the players at the table shouldn't know it either except in the same most general of terms.

The dragon's scales look thick, hard and tough.

That's what the PCs see, so that's all the players need to know.

Before they start the fight, sure. After a round or two, though, I don't see the harm if the players know the AC--it streamlines combat resolution some if they don't need to ask if they hit. It adds up around a large table.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Sure, but that doesn't change the commitment level of the declaration. If the player says "No, I'm not sure" then the declaration is in effect voided and nothing happens in the fiction at all. If the player says "Yes I'm sure" then over the side goes the PC, no questions asked.

I do the same, particularly when I'm concerned my description may have been faulty or misinterpreted.
Well, sure, once the player is sure then game on, but I was just pointing out the safety net between A and B, assuming that you used it, just for the sake of clarity. The extent to which I'll prevaricate to give the player time to consider really depends on the specific action and consequences. To circle back to a point @Maxperson made, I tend to not be specific about details. In the jumping example I might say the chasm looks pretty wide, you think you'd need help or an extraordinary success to make the jump. Sort of indexing PbtAs 'don't speak the name of your move' maxim. I'd only start talking about specific rules if asked a specific question, and I try like mad to avoid talking about specific measurements. Once you give a distance you're locked into the jumping rules. If the player wants to have a dramatic moment leaping the chasm that's more important to me than whether the thing happens to be 20' or 25' across. I know that's not everyone's taste, but that's how I roll.
That said, both as DM and player I've been involved in some horrific arguments over the years where no matter how much clarification and further description was given or how many "Are you sure"s were asked, the player saw one thing in his imagination while the DM was trying to describe another; and some action based on the player's interpretation that the player thought would be easy as pie ended up getting the PC killed.
Natural selection has to take a role somewhere, right? You can't save everyone. I let my son's Gnome Bard get his ass kicked in a bar because he wouldn't back off insulting the regulars. Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way. :p

pemerton

Legend
This doesn't bother me the way that having the GM tell me what my character does, does. This effect is how this monster works
This sentence is hard for me to parse, because when (in the fiction) the Gorechain devil treats another person as a marionette, in the real world, at the table, the GM will be telling a player what that player's character does.

Someone from outside the fiction (such as the GM, or even another player) reaching in to impose their story on my character: That bothers me, greatly. The difference feels clear in my mind, and I hope it's clear in the words.
It's not the least bit clear to me.

In Fate, for instance, if the GM offers a compel, then in the ficiton something is tempting or motivating your character. Or, perhaps, something about your character is motivating others.

So ... the item is cursed because the character failed to identify it?
No, the item is cursed because it was stolen from a mummy's tomb. And the character did read its aura - that's how he learned that it is cursed!

To be clear, those are propositions stated within the context of the fiction.

In the real workd, the item doesn't exist but various actions of rolling dice, comparing numbers of successes to target numbers, narrating imaginary things and events, etc really do take place. I as GM narrated that the item is cursed because the player made a roll and failed (ie didn't meet the target number for success).

That's an ... interesting mechanic. I'm pondering how that possibility would affect my decision-making in-game. I think--and this is about me, not about your table or even really the game--that it would gradually erode my suspension of disbelief somewhat as a player

<snip>

I have a question about your term "RPG-as-puzzle": what exactly do you mean by that?
The answer to the question is in the previous quoted paragraph.

If the GM already decides that the angel feather that the PC will find at the bazaar is cursed, then the game becomes a puzzle: the player has to work out whether or not the angel feather his/her PC has purchased is cursed.

Well-known examples of RPGs and allied game forms which feature a fair bit of this: Tomb of Horrors; any dungeon designed along the lines set out by Moldvay and Gygax in their well-known and classic D&D rulebooks; Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks like Warlock of Firetop Mountan and The Forest of Doom.

Using the approach to narration that I have illustrated in my example of play does not have even a hint of this. The player doesn't need to solve puzzles. S/he needs to inhabit his/her PC and engage the fiction.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I understand @prabe's argument, I think, and see why it's hard to explain or pin down. If I may be forgiven, I'm going to attempt a different formulation of it.

Means matter. @prabe prefers that the fictional attempt at control be established first, then resolved, then the loss of agency being applied to the next fictional state. Things like FATE Compels start with the resolution, then establishes all of the fiction. The order of these things matters to @prabe.

I see it. I don't share this view because this particular set of means doesn't resonate with me. We're playing a game that uses all kinds of extra-fictional resolutions, but if you get used to a certain set of these so that they become normal (like becoming adjusted to how D&D plays) then it can be difficult to adopt a different frame of reference. Or, you might just not like the other frame of reference. It's totally a preference thing -- you like what you like. It can be frustrating when the difference between two viewpoints seems small and unimportant from one vantage but very important from the other. This topic of discussion is exactly this -- from my and @Manbearcat and others point of view, this is a rather unimportant distinction. From @prabe's, it's critical. I happen to still recall the fairly recent past when I would have been on @prabe's side of this discussion and not @Manbearcat's, so it's easy for me to recall what I had trouble with and then analyze it with my newer understandings.

I think @prabe has a valid point of view that's difficult to explain if you don't also understand the other because you can't find the words to explain it to someone that just doesn't quite see it at all. Kudos to all involved for keeping this discussion as drama-free as it has been, but double kudos to @prabe for this, because I very much understand how easy it is to feel like your likes are being attacked, and you've avoided that very well.

Remove ads