• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reality TV: "D&D Monster Make-Over" ... Nominate a contestant!

Driddle

First Post
Which current D&D monsters need a revision or make-over the worst?

(Please note, this is an entirely different premise from the competing series, "Pimp My Kobold." That should be discussed elsewhere.)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I wanna see Mike Mearls tackle the Flumph, and try to make it something other than the iconic
plush monster of D&D. :cool:

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Anyone who so much as mentions the Gelatinous Cube will wake up with a horse head in their bed; it fits perfectly on my graph paper!

Perfection will not be besmirched.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
This really isn't a single monster choice, but I'd really like to see devils that actually worked better (and were easy to run) as units that balanced their strengths and weaknesses, as opposed to having lots of random abilities that don't really assist in combat and make them hard to run.

If I was to name a single monster, I'd say the bearded devil (barbazu) -- out of all the devils, this one needs to be simple to run lots of, and still a threat to higher-level characters, since so many of the devils can summon these as backup.

An honorable mention would be the darkmantle, which is supposed to drop on people's heads and suffocate them -- but seems to lack abilities that would let it do so.

FireLance

Legend
Kunimatyu said:
An honorable mention would be the darkmantle, which is supposed to drop on people's heads and suffocate them -- but seems to lack abilities that would let it do so.
An Improved Grab that affects up to Large creatures and a Constrict ability that deals 1d4+4 points of damage not good enough for you? Of course, its grapple check isn't great, but it still has a fair chance to win one against a small, weak or inexperienced opponent. It is only CR 1, after all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads