• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reality TV: "D&D Monster Make-Over" ... Nominate a contestant!

Psion

Adventurer
So been done, but:

Vampire.

I mean the template as it is is workable. I don't even hate level drain. I hate that the vampire has level drain. For specters and the like, it's great. But I need the vampire to remain fearsome.

snarfoogle

First Post
I third the darkmantle request (two 1st level characters walk into a dark room and face an unseen menace - great experience, especially since their meta-game knowledge didn't include ol' darkmantle), second the lycanthrope request and toss in a request for a vampire reworked and made fresh. With those last two, I'd like to see a more customizable template that goes beyond "low level parties fight were-rat/vampire spawn, high level parties fight were-tiger/were-whatever/classed vampire" and an easy way to make a were-whatever beyond the choices in the MM.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I'm gonna second the beholder (the decidedly-not-a-gelatinous-cube-beholder). Too many abilities for the limited amount of actions allowed. I like that it can provoke just about any kind of save to deal with a variety of opponents, but (and maybe I'll get called stupid for this) it just seems like a lot to try to keep track of in a fast-paced session. And yeah...random.

It could be that the SpiderMonkey template needs a makeover; get rid of the Lazy (Su) ability.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
If I had to name one MM1 monster that *needed* revising, it would be the drow. (despite my complete lack of interest in them)

If I were to choose one that I *wanted* revised, it would be the vampire.
-blarg

Knight Otu

First Post
There's a number of them, I'd say. Equipment destroyers should deal damage, rather than insta-destroy stuff, for example.

snarfoogle said:
and an easy way to make a were-whatever beyond the choices in the MM.
It might be my experience with monster stats, but I find the lycanthrope template to be reasonably easy on that matter (as easy as its current incarnation can be, of course).

Remove ads