Kickstarter Realm Works Kickstarter Launches – Transform Campaign Management!

I can certainly see the value of Realm Works to me, however this kickstarter is like the PF Online one. It is very wishy washy, give us some money to make the product better. There is no concrete stuff that I have seen that they are going to do with the money. So can anyone explain:
1. What exactly the money from this KS is going to be used for?
2. The benefits to me for supporting, as in what I won't get by just waiting for this to be released.

Thanks

Tortoise

First Post
They just announced to supporters that they have added some goodies from the folks at Gnome Stew to the rewards. Three different products will be loaded into the software and backers will get them with their download of the software.

You also may want to ask the guys at Wolf Lair these questions for a detailed answer.

SolitonMan

Explorer
I can certainly see the value of Realm Works to me, however this kickstarter is like the PF Online one. It is very wishy washy, give us some money to make the product better. There is no concrete stuff that I have seen that they are going to do with the money. So can anyone explain:
1. What exactly the money from this KS is going to be used for?
2. The benefits to me for supporting, as in what I won't get by just waiting for this to be released.

Thanks

I've just copied this from the kickstarter home page for Realm Works:

"What We Will Do With Your Support

As we indicated above, initial Realm Works development is nearly complete, with release slated for July, 2013. This Kickstarter will allow us to accelerate our current development efforts and pack more features into the product for its public release.

The key capabilities to benefit most from this Kickstarter are the cloud server and community repository components. Critical features of these two components include:
Full player access to revealed aspects of the world and the ability to download or review anything they've learned about the world. Our Fog of World technology governs the information that players can access, limiting them to only what they've learned through play.
GMs can share their creations through the cloud for use by others.
GMs can browse the work of others and integrate it into their own worlds. Imagine being able to find a pre-made encounter, or a tavern, or an entire region with adventures and NPCs. Drop it into your own world, change a few names, hook it into locations in your world, and it’s fully integrated for use. No scribbled notes. No Post-Its. No juggling between PDFs, books, and your own files. Realm Works is built from the ground up for exactly this purpose.
Secure cloud backup of all material for GMs.
Synchronization of different computers to the cloud, with automatic change detection and resolution.
We’ll also leverage your support to further refine the overall user experience and enhance the feature set offered by Realm Works.

Of course, if we exceed our funding goal, we'll be able to accomplish even more through stretch goals to be announced. There are many additional major features we want to add that will make Realm Works invaluable to virtually all GMs."

It seems as though many people have had a similar question, more details are presented in the FAQ the Lone Wolf guys have added to the kickstarter home page.

As for the rewards, I don't know that there is anything you couldn't get just by waiting, honestly. Some of the bits to do with the cloud service aren't quantitatively spelled out enough just yet to be able to definitively say that you'd miss out on something great by not backing. I'm very hopeful this kickstarter succeeds for purely selfish reasons, namely getting my hands on the software as soon as possible! :)

Now that is a pretty good deal, 3 books I would really like.

As to what the KS is for, thanks for the info SilotonMan. I have read that and it still tells me nothing, are Lone Wolf guaranteeing that if the KS funds we will see all those in a definite July release? I don't think so it is a wishy washy goal IMO. Now that is not a bad thing, look at PF Online that made a cool million just to 'speed it up a bit and thanks for ONE MEEEELLIOON DOLLARS!".

I hope it funds as I would like to get on board in the future, but I reckon it will not release on time and those features listed there will not all be there even with the funding. Money just doesn't make software development that much faster. So I will wait til we get the full deal, which will happen whether the KS funds or not. I have more time than money!

Bet of luck tho :D

Tortoise

First Post
According to the Kickstarter and their website, Realm Works will launch in July regardless since the major stuff is done and works. They want to hire some extra help getting some additional features working before launch.

mgehl

First Post
New Realm Works™ Videos Released!

Three new videos to demonstrate specific functionality within Realm Works have been published. Each one expands upon particular aspects of the software described in the Kickstarter video. Here’s a summary of what’s featured in each:

1. Basic Content via Topics. Topics encompass the people, places, things, and events of your world. This video shows how easy it is to establish a Topic and flesh out its details. We build an NPC as an example, and demonstrate how information about the NPC can be established in multiple ways. The video highlights the ability to incorporate external elements, like images or Hero Lab files, into the Topics you’re creating. The functionality around establishing tags for your content and Realm Works’ sophistication at automatically creating links are also on display. Finally, we show how you can disclose individual elements of your topics to your players.

2. Story-Driven Content. Realm Works offers unique capabilities to weave your story and content together as you evolve your world. Your ability to manage plots and storylines in a visual manner to accomplish this is highlighted in the video. We demonstrate the ease with which you can create a plot and establish its content. We also highlight how links are created and the use of plots while you’re playing the game to quickly move to relevant content.

3. Leveraging Maps. Maps in Realm Works provide powerful functionality for navigating through your world and can be revealed incrementally to your players as they journey across it. This video focuses on how you can use maps as a navigation tool and instantly access needed content. We show how easy it is to place pins on maps to represent places of interest, like a location or an encounter, and associate them with the relevant content. Finally, we show the power of our Fog of World™ technology and incrementally revealing content to your players using maps as an example.

We hope you enjoy the videos!

OK with Gnome Stew and the youtube vids I am def leaning towards pledging, damn you wallet killing awesomeness!

I have a few questions for [MENTION=82675]mgehl[/MENTION]
1. Is there a guesstimate for when we could see this on iPad? Or even Android (I have an iPad and an Android phone). Onenote is my tool of choice but it is very limited on iPad. (EDIT: In FAQ- no date - but being able to web browse with cloud on the iPad is OK)
2. Can you import and link documents into the various parts? Like I scribble notes in my iPad which can be exported as a PDF, can I then move it into RW to be accessible there? (EDIT: found the answer, YES, on Gnome Stew review. Man I am rubbish at reading text on screen, my eyes and brain glaze over LOL)
3. In a similar vein is there plans to be able to direct connect to things like Dropbox? I realise that your cloud service will do some of these but it would;d be very helpful for bringing in 3PP produced docs and files.
EDIT: Answer, once again, YES! Thanks Gnome Stew
Thanks

EDIT: I'm in, you've convinced me :D

Last edited:

JustinAlexander

First Post
A few questions:

(1) Can pins be easily moved around after they've been created? (I would assume so, but they never actually get dragged-and-dropped during the demonstration video.)

(2) Can I customize the color of a pin?

It's probably a little weird to obsess over the pins, but their functionality combined with map usage may be what finally sells me on using a digital campaign manager.

(I do this thing in my location-based adventures where I prep the bad guys separately from the locations and then move the groups of bad guys around dynamically during play. Being able to assign each group of bad guys to a pin and then just move the pins around directly on the map? That, all by itself, would radically transform my campaign prep.)

Remove ads