Realms Shatterin Events (RSEs) in your homebrew world?

Cyronax

Explorer
Having just read some posts about FR's upcoming Spellplague and reading Die Vecna Die a few days ago, I was wondering if anyone was planning on creating their own potential Realms Shattering Events that would serve as a transition from 3.x to 4.0?

I am gearing my current campaign towards a RSE that only the PCs can prevent. Basically there was an 18th human witch (mystic theurge/sorcerer/cleric once devoted to Wee Jas) that tried to channel power from Limbo (IMC these are the unformed energies of the planes at the edge of the known universe) into herself as a way to impart divine status and immortality to herself. The witch is known mysteriously as the 'Lady of the Depths,' and resides in a large cavern in the Underdark of my world.

She didn't want to go the route to lichdom, the only path for immortality that is available IMC.

Her ritual failed and she died, with the remains of her body being transformed in a Husk of Infinite Worlds (see Magic of Eberron). The husk itself actually began drawing extraplanar energies from beyond Limbo/Edge of Known Reality itself .... and even starting sucking in energy from the Far Realm.

Well, the witch is dead, but before her ritual she had prepared a simalcrum as a way to retain some sort of life for herself (even if her true self died).

The simalrcum is half the level of the original and has the spellwarped template (MM3) attached due to all the strange energies emanating from the husk, and is now trying to shut down the husk of infinite worlds, even as chaos begins to spread across the world. The Lady of the Depths was evil, but not in a way that sought out the destruction of the world.

The simalcrum is also trying to keep the event secret, since revelation of her diminished power and the creation of the husk might entice her many adversaries from the Underdark to move in and try to enlarge the husk's planar instability.

The PCs (mid-level party) had previously been set up as the enemies of one of the witch's main servants since early in the campaign, and now will be forced to deal with the simalcrum, the husk, and the witch's enemies.

A potential RSE in the making, and up to my heroes to prevent.

(As always, I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. I haven't seen a thread on it in the last few days of regular viewing).

C.I.D.

Brewhammer

Explorer
There won't be any RSE for my players - we're not moving to 4th Ed. and we're not using any of the timeskip/spellplague/NPC nuking changes for FR. We'll be using 3.5, playing the current FR setting and then focusing more on a homebrew world that WotC can't ever touch. :cool:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Transitional events:

The Dragonborn invasions
Rise of the Tieflings
The Halfling regatta

...hmm...well, two out of three aint bad ;)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Well in my own ongoing FR campaign (about 18 years), Elminster was slain years ago by Asmodeus around the time of the Yamun Kahan (The Horde) invasion.

I have no current drama to herald in 4th Ed.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Naww I'll start fresh with homebrew first, cobbling together whatever the POL is from the DMG and H1. My first cobbled together world in a couple of years....:D

Cyronax

Explorer
mhensley said:
Just the traditional TPK and starting over from scratch for me.

That's always an ace in the hole!

The campaign may take a TPK route anyways based on some of the more reckless things my players do. I have never had a TPK, but I've heard that one's not a true DM until it happens.

C.I.D.

delericho

Legend
I used an RSE for one of my homebrew worlds, once. It worked out quite well.

However, I'm not planning one for 4e - if I switch at all, it will be with a brand new homebrew world.

Remove ads