Realmsian Dragonstar: The Battle of Toril PbP Game [OOC] (Game Cancelled)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
OOC: rolling crit and crit confirm on the laser pistol shot here: [roll0] and damage here: [roll1]

For the Sunsword, DR shoudn't be an issue as it deals Fire damage (which I pray the devil isnt' immune to)... it's kind of weird in that you get to add strength to damage, but it's damage type is not a Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning weapon.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: rolling crit and crit confirm on the laser pistol shot here: [roll0] and damage here: [roll1]

For the Sunsword, DR shoudn't be an issue as it deals Fire damage (which I pray the devil isnt' immune to)... it's kind of weird in that you get to add strength to damage, but it's damage type is not a Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning weapon.
The confirm isn't a critical.

And I personally don't think a sunsword (or any weapon) should bypass an outsider's alignment-based DR. I'll take a look at the sunsword's stats again, and if I feel like it needs to be chainged, I'll let you know.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Salthorae, what information are you seeking for your Spellcraft check? Just to know what spell Rodan cast (which he would know) or something more specific about the sunsword and the effect emanating from it?

Shayuri

First Post
A sunsword bypasses DR because it doesn't do physical damage. Energy damage is reduced by elemental resistance, not by damage resistance. It'd be like saying the devil's DR reduces a Fireball's damage. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A sunsword bypasses DR because it doesn't do physical damage. Energy damage is reduced by elemental resistance, not by damage resistance. It'd be like saying the devil's DR reduces a Fireball's damage. :)
No where in the sunsword's description, in Imperial Supply, does it say in bypasses DR. It says it bypasses 10 points of hardness, armor, and natural armor but not DR.

Shayuri

First Post
The salient question is what is the damage type? If it does 'Fire' damage, then that's blocked by Fire Resistance, not DR.

That's not a Dragonstar thing. It's a D&D 3x thing. Even DR x/- is bypassed by energy damage.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The salient question is what is the damage type? If it does 'Fire' damage, then that's blocked by Fire Resistance, not DR.

That's not a Dragonstar thing. It's a D&D 3x thing. Even DR x/- is bypassed by energy damage.
I admit I'm not 100% sure how it should work for futuristic weapons in a game where magic is involved. I'll probably have to look through the modern SRD for something, as the section on Futuristic Weapons in the DMG doesn't say anything other than some future weapons' damage type is considered special (the laser pistol, laser rifle, and the antimatter riffle). Yet, the weapons in the Dragonstar books have elemental damage types, for the most part.

Of course, this is a future fantasy game not a hard science game, but I'm not sure the Dragonstar weapons should be put on equal footing with magic items that do energy damage (staffs, wands, etc). The damage they do isn't magical, so should it be equivalent to magical energy damage or to mundane fire/electricity damage? Or does it even matter?

If it doesn't matter then the prices for the firearms in the Dragonstar books need to be increase significantly, otherwise each futuristic character is walking around with the equivalent of powerful magical weapons that do an insane amount of damage for barely any cost.

I might have to change the damage values and the Damage Types for anything that is similar to the weapons listed in the DMG. But, even if the damage type is considered special, would DR still block it? I really don't know. Hopefully, the arcana section of Modern SRD says something.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I think I found what I needed: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Special_Abilities#Damage_Reduction_.28Su.29

D&D Wiki: MSRD: Special Abilities said:
Damage Reduction (Su)
The creature ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A magic weapon or a creature with its own damage reduction can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below.

The entry indicates the amount of damage ignored and the type of weapon that negates the ability.

Any weapon more powerful than the type listed in the note also negates the ability. A weapon with an enhancement bonus due to magic is considered more powerful than any weapon that does not have such a bonus.

For purposes of harming other creatures with damage reduction, a creature’s natural weapons count as the type that ignores its own innate damage reduction. However, damage reduction from spells does not confer this ability. The amount of damage reduction is irrelevant.

Remove ads