Reaper Minis debuts its own OGL-based RPG system: Dungeon Delvers

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
IT is not but the default campaign setting will be set in the same world and Warlord could be revived if interest is there. This most definitely from the Beta, rules preview and FAQ is built off 5e but abandons Advantage/Disadvantage for bonuses and penalties (applaud), drops death saves (applaud), individual weapons have their initiative dice (interesting), initiative is rolled each round rather than once (applaud, more dynamic combat), three alignments (good, neutral, evil with guidelines for Moorcockian and Gygaxian alignments in the DM book), More dynamic movement (preview elves moves 19 squares, dwarves 6, halflings 9, humans 12), simpler yet interesting monster design (applaud), No feats (huge applause), with plans to expand later.

They also haven't decided if it will be open or closed and it isn't OGL but built off the 5e SRD which could mean they will cite the CC.

Oh my. That just killed my interest. It sounds like they're dumping most of 5e's improvements to move back to 3x mechanics. And the Good/Evil alignment axis has never sat well with me (I'm a Law/Chaos axis guy all the way). Ah, well.

teitan

Legend
Oh my. That just killed my interest. It sounds like they're dumping most of 5e's improvements to move back to 3x mechanics. And the Good/Evil alignment axis has never sat well with me (I'm a Law/Chaos axis guy all the way). Ah, well.
Not really, it's different from 3.x, it just eliminates the swinginess of advantage/disadvantage and some 5e mechanics while helping them differentiate enough to not be beholden to WOTC. Let's face facts, while Advantage and Disadvantage is a game changer for D&D, it eliminated a lot of the variables for a DM, making it a lot easier, it is very swingy. Another interesting bit is how Proficiency works, which is it is your level plus stat, so I expect lower target numbers, and not having proficiency is 1/4 your level. Wizards aren't Vancian either. They memorize a number of spells per day sure, but they use spell points to cast spells and scale them up and down so wizards are more versatile than they are in D&D while being more akin to DCC Dying Earth without the spellcaster roll costing them their memorized spell on a bad check.

The support for the Law/Chaos axis is in the DM guide along with some of the other things you might miss but really, if you like 5e mechanics for your fantasy and support for grittier fantasy being in the 5e DMG, then perhaps it isn't for you. I personally like what I am seeing in comparison myself but I moved on from 5e.

Clint_L

Hero
This deal is looking better and better and stretch goals and other freebies unlock. I'm just in it for the miniatures because I don't need another fantasy RPG, but the game looks good, and this being Reaper I expect the quality to be top notch.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
This feels like they are re-inventing the wheel, but worse... 4 classes, 4 'folk', sounds like basic D&D basic. It also seems like they are reusing the miniatures design art as the illustrations (which are imho great). 384+ pages of pretty much rehashed OGL content in PDF for $49... Yeah, no!

If you're in for the minis keep in mind that these are not the plastics (PVC) from previous KS, they are moving to SIOcast with two ranges, including the Dungeon Dwellers line and calling it Bones USA:

I Love the Reaper (Bones) minis, but I had to bow out after Bones 5. With the value of each KS going down, huge increases in shipping costs, changes to VAT, etc. Reaper Bones became expensive! Especially when I am still drowning in all the minis from the previous KS campaigns... And looking at the KS backer numbers, I wasn't the only one who was thinking that way...

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I love Reaper, but they need to calm down with all of the different materials they're making Bones minis out of. It's getting hard to keep track of which are which.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Edit: Wait wait, for $100 you get 3 books (and some adventure books?) and a bunch of minis? How is that not an absolute steal?
Shipping + VAT

If you look a the previous "Base" KS Reaper did, some people were paying $32 for shipping+VAT on a $30 order...

Also keep in mind that currently each of those three books is only 128 pages softcover. I just picked up the D&D 5E gift box with PHB/DMG/MM/Screen all hardcover for €89,23 new (including shipping and VAT)...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also keep in mind that currently each of those three books is only 128 pages softcover. I just picked up the D&D 5E gift box with PHB/DMG/MM/Screen all hardcover for €89,23 new (including shipping and VAT)...
I would bet on them being hardcover books by the time the campaign ends. But they'll definitely be thinner than the 5E core books.

teitan

Legend
This feels like they are re-inventing the wheel, but worse... 4 classes, 4 'folk', sounds like basic D&D basic. It also seems like they are reusing the miniatures design art as the illustrations (which are imho great). 384+ pages of pretty much rehashed OGL content in PDF for $49... Yeah, no!

If you're in for the minis keep in mind that these are not the plastics (PVC) from previous KS, they are moving to SIOcast with two ranges, including the Dungeon Dwellers line and calling it Bones USA:

I Love the Reaper (Bones) minis, but I had to bow out after Bones 5. With the value of each KS going down, huge increases in shipping costs, changes to VAT, etc. Reaper Bones became expensive! Especially when I am still drowning in all the minis from the previous KS campaigns... And looking at the KS backer numbers, I wasn't the only one who was thinking that way...
SIOCast is superior to the pvc they were using in every way and the resin in their new process is incredible and I was a skeptic. You say this like it is a bad thing they moved to superior materials. The classic bones material is being used to allow for large miniatures that would have been incredibly expensive otherwise, but the smaller minis it wasn’t holding the detail and reaper was losing ground to Wizkids.

Remove ads