Reaper Minis debuts its own OGL-based RPG system: Dungeon Delvers

MGibster

Legend
Agreed - it's hard to understand how it can be denied that Reaper's newer plastics are objectively far higher quality that hold their shape far better and allow for much more precise details. Also note that they are made in the USA.
The Bones Black are great. I avoided earlier Bones minis because the only thing they had going for them were price. The minis often lacked sharp features and were bent oddly but the Black minis are fantastic. I think all the Reaper miniatures I posted in another thread were all from their Black line.

Now that I look, most of them were Dungeon Dwellers. Only the incubi and the Greek warrior were Bones Black.

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
As I posted earlier, I think Reaper is a victim of their own success, to a significant degree.

The current KS is also looking like a pretty good deal - $50 for a set of 30 or so high quality miniatures is excellent - compare to Steamforged Epic Encounters, for example. $99 for all of the miniatures plus the entire game system, hardbound, and all the PDFs, and some other bonuses as well: that's a great deal!
100% they are and it isn't necessarily a bad thing but people need to take into account that Bones 6 is almost all superior materials that cost a LOT more than the cheap classic bones. The best example I can think of is the old metal zombies, then the bones classic zombies that were pretty much just amorphous blobs and have now been re-released in Bones USA and are back to actually looking like really, really nice models and a good alternative to the metal versions while all classic Bones were were a very inexpensive option that were not fun to paint. They needed to make those improvements though because Wizkids encroached on their territory with a somewhat superior product for the "get minis on the table" crowd with the overprimed, but not so bendy etc Deep Cuts minis. I hates them. They aren't even fun to paint but I get how they undercut Reaper on a similar product. Reaper has gone back to what they did best, high quality models that are fun to paint at a reasonable price point. Bones Black is a pretty good material and Bones USA is so smooth to paint. I still prefer to grab metals though.

ANd yeah that new kickstarter is probably the best deal I've seen on Kickstarter since Bones 5. Still kicking my own pants for not at least getting the Dungeon Dwellers expansion on that one. I am an admirer of Heritage Models and I love the updates to the designs Bobby Jackson has made. The DD RPG looks pretty nice and all those minis are going to be well over 99 bucks total when pieced out after the kickstarter ends. I hope that dragon gets unlocked.

teitan

Legend
The Bones Black are great. I avoided earlier Bones minis because the only thing they had going for them were price. The minis often lacked sharp features and were bent oddly but the Black minis are fantastic. I think all the Reaper miniatures I posted in another thread were all from their Black line.

Now that I look, most of them were Dungeon Dwellers. Only the incubi and the Greek warrior were Bones Black.
I have some bones classic where they have no nose. None, nothing. Just no nose. Some where the eyes are gone too.

Clint_L

Hero
Larger miniatures were okay in the old white bones material - Baba Yaga's House is fantastic, for example, and even down to the size of ogres they generally came out well. Medium and smaller miniatures were pretty problematic - some were okay but, yeah, some were not.

That entire run of 5.5 I posted above is all really good, though. Most are Bones Black, but the largest pieces, like the terrain and the dragon turtle, are the old style plastic and they are fine.

teitan

Legend
Larger miniatures were okay in the old white bones material - Baba Yaga's House is fantastic, for example, and even down to the size of ogres they generally came out well. Medium and smaller miniatures were pretty problematic - some were okay but, yeah, some were not.

That entire run of 5.5 I posted above is all really good, though. Most are Bones Black, but the largest pieces, like the terrain and the dragon turtle, are the old style plastic and they are fine.
Oh yeah for large format minis CLassic Bones is the best. I have Ma'al Drakar and some of the other dragons and they are excellent. Ma'al would be way too expensive in any other material and some of those dragons, judging by other manufacturers, would cost a lot more in resin or metal. It's just the "normal" size and smaller that I refuse to buy anymore.

Clint_L

Hero
This isn't quite everything you get in the collectors box; stuff is being unlocked pretty quickly now as the KS nears its finish (for example, a minotaur was just added to the miniatures, and the third and final part of the fortress of peril was just added to the books). But it sure is looking like a fantastic deal!

Edit: And it's Reaper, so you can be very confident that they'll deliver. I've gotten burned on a few KSs that looked too good to be true...because they were. I'm not worried about this one, at all; I've backed Reaper many times.

1700335029484.png

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
Add a harpy and hobgoblin to the collector's box now, along with that Minotaur - the last few hours of a Reaper campaign are always fun.

Clint_L

Hero
And it's over - backing really picked up at the end, which is not surprising considering how good a deal it became. Really happy with it, and can't wait to paint some of those miniatures. That female ogre is the best!

Remove ads