Reaper to produce pre-painted Plastic minis - Non-random

thalmin

Retired game store owner
IIRC, WotC went after the d20 prepainted figs because the SRD applied to print. (Where do you print the d20 license on a figure?) But this only prohibits the naming of the figures. "Floating Eyes", "Eye Terrors", "Eye Beasts" and such have been put out by various companies since 1E came out.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Glyfair said:
I agree they'll be competitive, but many here might not consider them so. I believe those who expect $1.00-$1.50 per mini are going to be disappointed.
I think we can get a good idea of what the pricing is going to be just by looking at what other prepainted, non assorted games are giving us.

AT-43 is giving us 6 human troopers with alt heads for $25.
Battlefield Evolution is giving us a squad of 10 or so for $30.

Expect similar prices.

Twowolves

Explorer
Kae'Yoss said:
They said that they were going to offer both single minis and sets. It's in the announcement.

Doh!! That's what I get for being too excited when I read the initial announcement.

I was hoping for 8 figs for $20, but 10 for $30, if they are really good, is ok with me. I seem to recall Crystal Caste having 8-10 prepainted (poorly) metal minis for around $20-$24, with a d20 included.

http://www.crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=EM

Ok, these are 5 for $25, and include 5 d20s. I suppose plastics would be somewhat cheaper, especially if not hand painted.

rgard

Adventurer
Twowolves said:
Doh!! That's what I get for being too excited when I read the initial announcement.

I was hoping for 8 figs for $20, but 10 for $30, if they are really good, is ok with me. I seem to recall Crystal Caste having 8-10 prepainted (poorly) metal minis for around $20-$24, with a d20 included.

http://www.crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=EM

Ok, these are 5 for $25, and include 5 d20s. I suppose plastics would be somewhat cheaper, especially if not hand painted.

Got my best d20 ever out of one of those sets. The d20s have a 'skull' for the number '1'. The blue one I have rolls just too many 20s.

I like Crystal Caste's PC figs (Elfsera 1 was the best of the lot.) They are well done.

Thanks,
Rich

MojoGM

First Post
Well, despite what the anti-plastic miniature people say, I welcome this announcement and look forward to checking them out when they are released.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
thalmin said:
IIRC, WotC went after the d20 prepainted figs because the SRD applied to print. (Where do you print the d20 license on a figure?) But this only prohibits the naming of the figures. "Floating Eyes", "Eye Terrors", "Eye Beasts" and such have been put out by various companies since 1E came out.

IIRC, all WOTC did was add a provision to the d20 license prohibiting the use of the d20 logo on a product with minis. Specifically:

"No Covered Product may include “Miniatures"

In response to Holistic's prepainted minis that came with included stat cards and thus has the d20 logo on the boxed set.

D.Shaffer said:
I think we can get a good idea of what the pricing is going to be just by looking at what other prepainted, non assorted games are giving us.

Expect similar prices.
Yeah, but are those figs plastic or resin - it does make a difference.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
D.Shaffer said:

Expect similar prices.
Price will, as I've said before, be the deciding factor for me - assuming the quality is at least comparable to that of DDMs.

If the price per mini is $3-4 as you're suggesting (so approx £2 maybe here in the UK) then that is about double what I pay for DDMs.

I might pick up a few unique sculpts if I really like them, but otherwise I think WOTC will continue to get the bulk of my custom.

Pbartender

First Post
Twowolves said:

On the other hand, note that they also have packs of unpainted plastics -- Orcs with swords (could pass for a falchion ;) ), spears or bows, and dwarves with axes, spears or crossbows -- that come in packs of 5 for $4.

All you'd need to do is machine paint them, and you'd probably have something close to what Reaper's planning.

rgard

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
On the other hand, note that they also have packs of unpainted plastics -- Orcs with swords (could pass for a falchion ;) ), spears or bows, and dwarves with axes, spears or crossbows -- that come in packs of 5 for $4.

All you'd need to do is machine paint them, and you'd probably have something close to what Reaper's planning.

:) Oh yes, forgot about my painting machine in back yard!!!

Remove ads