D&D 5E Reasonable Movement and Athletic Feats?

Coroc

Hero
This is exactly my point. Neither. That isn't how I creature the world in which the adventure occurs. The world is created with no regard to any adventure or adventurers. A chasm might only be 7 ft across, or 20ft, or longer than a longbow shot, depending on how I envision the scene while designing the area.

Once, my players got across a chasm by the warforged (who has powerful build, using an older warforged stat set) doing a full spinning throw of the 60lb halfling rogue (treated as similar to a record holder in weight throwing using a 35lb weight) about 100ft, and the rogue shooting a magic longbow with a magic arrow into the side of the opposite cliff. The arrow had an infinite rope attached, the other end of which was tied to the warforged's torso. Because the idea was rad, I let them just roll for it, and didn't worry about whether the arrow could technically get the exact number of feet to reach the other side, instead just eyeballing it and going, yeah close enough, it works. From there, they made a makeshift ropebridge type thing with a safety rope. The rogue is max dex with acrobatics expertise, so I didn't make them roll for going back and forth quickly to secure ropes and make passage safe for the less physically capable companions, it just took time.

THey could have used spells, climbing up and down, or any number of other things to get it done. The wizard could have cast Jump or featherfall to get the rogue closer to the other side, or levitate to get the rogue all the way across, but their idea worked as it was with good rolls, so those ideas never come up.

When I read your thread I thought to myself: Why did they not attach the rope to the Halfling in the first place before throwing him? It was confusing to me so I came to the solution that safety first was the intention. Ah no. That would have required to attach the Halfling to the rope first, so that there is no way he falls without end when the warforged throws him short.
But of course first throwing then shooting looks like more action, and then a display of strength of the warforged in the end securing the rest of the party.
But then...
.... the warforged still stands there as one of the pillars of the rope bridge, am I correct ? Luckily he does not require food or drink, :p

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
When I read your thread I thought to myself: Why did they not attach the rope to the Halfling in the first place before throwing him? It was confusing to me so I came to the solution that safety first was the intention. Ah no. That would have required to attach the Halfling to the rope first, so that there is no way he falls without end when the warforged throws him short.
But of course first throwing then shooting looks like more action, and then a display of strength of the warforged in the end securing the rest of the party.
But then...
.... the warforged still stands there as one of the pillars of the rope bridge, am I correct ? Luckily he does not require food or drink, :p
Well, the warforged secures their end of the rope once the halfling was across. The magic arrow secured the rope on the other side, but the halfling went across anyway and secured the rope properly. Then the party went across.

Remove ads