D&D 5E Reasonable Movement and Athletic Feats?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If Strength determines how far you can jump, it seems straightforward to me that it would be easy to jump an additional 5 ft., hard to jump an additional 10 ft., and nearly impossible to jump an additional 15 ft.

A 10th-level character with Strength 10 who has applied Expertise to their proficiency in the Athletics skill can succeed at a 15 ft. long jump if the d20 roll for their check is anything higher than a 1.

The same character with Strength 15 automatically succeeds at a 20 ft. long jump.
None of that is “straightforward” in the sense of being obvious or “clearly the right way to go”.

Xeviat

Hero
I can here a while back after a few days of researching human running speeds because I miss 3Es run action and got shot down.

Look, this is a game with Monk characters that could reasonably be wearing very little and carrying nothing, so making sure someone could reach real world peak human Olympic feats with just basic skills and feats (as opposed to magical class features) seems like a reasonable baseline.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I can here a while back after a few days of researching human running speeds because I miss 3Es run action and got shot down.

Look, this is a game with Monk characters that could reasonably be wearing very little and carrying nothing, so making sure someone could reach real world peak human Olympic feats with just basic skills and feats (as opposed to magical class features) seems like a reasonable baseline.

Making sure a monk can or an unarmored fighter sure. But the typical situation is an armored character with a full sack of gear. That shouldn't get anywhere near peak human Olympic distances.

Xeviat

Hero
I'll dust off the stuff I worked for this this weekend. I think for a group that wants nonmagical characters to be able to do heroic feats of athleticism, making some tables and skill DC lists doesn't seem outlandish.

Rules for running/sprinting, better long and high jump rules, rules for how far you can throw things, and what happens to these when you push stats to superhuman levels through 20 ability scores or magic would be super cool.

I had played around with this big time when I used to play more Mutants and Masterminds. They have a table of ranks and measures which makes it real easy to make equations like this.

I'm also interested in seeing what some of the people here think about stats for humans and making humans stand out from the other races.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
nah.

And even if it was, a high strength DnD cahracter with Athletics prof (and especially expertise and/or feats dedicated to athleticism) should be a capable of things well beyond what an Olympic athlete can do. Including performing athletic feats comparable to Olympians in full kit.

Remove ads