• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recap: Ryan Dancey's Predictions for 2007

teitan

Legend
Fallen Seraph said:
His WW prediction is also very off.

The MMORPG is at the back-burner at the most and their PnPs have been jumping off the shelves and doing extremely well. They are publishing more and more board games as well.

The PnP product has hardly been jumping off the shelves. It is still popular but not anywhere NEAR the level of the classic line. New books sell but the old books just sit. Can't say the same for the old material though. I had a rough time keeping it in stock and Exalted Second Edition has been a big failure for me as well, I didn't sell a copy of the core book for a year at least (i am also a comic shoppe and toy store and while I carry a LOT of RPG product, I don't rely on it for my bread and butter, though I'd miss D&D). I could cut WW and not feel a hit in sales loss. A few other retailer in my area feel pretty much the same and it seems the industry has shifted from storytelling based games towards more tactical games like D&D and OGL products. Warhammer Roleplay outsells White Wolf here.

Oh and there is still going to be support for the WFRP and 40KRP through Fantasy Flight Games!!!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
teitan said:
The PnP product has hardly been jumping off the shelves. It is still popular but not anywhere NEAR the level of the classic line. New books sell but the old books just sit. Can't say the same for the old material though. I had a rough time keeping it in stock and Exalted Second Edition has been a big failure for me as well, I didn't sell a copy of the core book for a year at least (i am also a comic shoppe and toy store and while I carry a LOT of RPG product, I don't rely on it for my bread and butter, though I'd miss D&D). I could cut WW and not feel a hit in sales loss. A few other retailer in my area feel pretty much the same and it seems the industry has shifted from storytelling based games towards more tactical games like D&D and OGL products. Warhammer Roleplay outsells White Wolf here.

Oh and there is still going to be support for the WFRP and 40KRP through Fantasy Flight Games!!!

Guess it is a location thing, a Hobby Shop/RP Shop owner I know gets all her WW books sold out within about 2 weeks, half from pre-orders.

Edit: Now just after a quick thought it definately is a location thing, atleast here the gaming community is small but quite devoted towards roleplaying games over tactical games.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Thanks, Charles!

What is MapleStory, anyway?

Cheers!

There's a 2-D MMO by that name; I believe it cut its teeth in Korea, where it has some god-awful number of subscribers (like 17 million or something). WotC just launched (late 07) a CCG based on the game, but they only have rights to North America. The MMO is not nearly as big in the US as Korea, but apparently it's growing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads