Recruitment for Spelljammer: Starfarers

gamecat

Explorer
I have a few SJ pdfs, and one rule in SJ kills me:

That helms drain the user's spells per day. It effectively turns the ship's mage into an NPC. I want to think of a rule to replace that one...

drnuncheon

Explorer
I always hated that too. If you wanted my suggestions, I would have the helm give constant, low level of power just from having a spellcaster sitting in it - but if need be, the caster can expend spells to increase speed and/or maneuverability, the amount gained based on the spell expended. Some helms might have a greater rating for how much you can 'overcharge' them through this method then others, making it valuable to have both a powerful spellcaster and a powerful helm.

J

Krug

Newshound
Come on Gru! Or anyone else! Let's be riding those spacelanes!

gamecat: You wouldn't have the Book of Eldritch Might 2 by any chance? Was looking at Monte Cook's alternate bard...

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Spelljamming helms

I'll have a character posted within eight hours. I'm not sure if gamecat included Psionics Handbook under the heading splatbooks, but this character will be a psionic warrior. If that's not appropriate, I'll post something else tomorrow (perhaps a cleric).

Quick thought about spelljamming helms. The Spider Moon setting handled it by not having helms drain spells (and having helms generate fresh air, too).

One nice thing about 3E is that just about anyone can take a single level of a spellcasting class (and thus serve as a backup helmsman). I would imagine it would almost be required within orgs like the Elven Navy.

Derek

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Apologies

My previous estimate was incorrect. I'll be posting a character Wednesday (around 6pm PST). FYI, I'm in Tokyo, so there will be interesting time zone issues.

Derek

Last edited:

gamecat

Explorer
the PsiHB is allowed. I don't use anything like the EIN, as the only thing I borrow from previous SJ material is the physics, spells, and nonspecific PrCs. Space Penguins (Dohwar) and Space Hippos (Giff) kinda ruin a serious campaign.

Remove ads