• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redclaw's Eyes of the Lich Queen

Redclaw

First Post
As the party arrives from their various errands and pursuits the lightning rail is beginning to board. The hustle and bustle of the station can only be described as organized chaos as many people are meeting those who just arrived while others are loading parcels onto the rail-cars, and still others are preparing to embark themselves. Employees of House Orien point you in the right direction, and soon you find yourselves in a private stateroom with Sur'kil. He welcomes you in and encourages you to enjoy some relaxation before the trials ahead. Shortly after everyone is seated, the entire device lurches to life and the countryside starts flashing by the windows.

After exchanging gentle pleasantries, Sur'kil turns to a trunk full of historical and archaeological tomes. He spends most of the travel time on the train either reading, writing or sleeping, pausing only long enough to eat the meals that are delivered to the room for him. He encourages you all to eat in the dining car, and assures you that your meals are included with your tickets. He steadfastly avoids answering any more detailed questions of your ultimate destination or prize. He does admit that you will be staying on the rail all the way to Korranberg.

If anyone would like to do anything during the trip, let me know. It will take roughly 41 hours, so you will be arriving in Korranberg early on the morning of the second day.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Talas

Still in the store:

"Well brother, demons possess a multitude of deplorable traits. The ones that come to the front are the spreading of misery and violence for no other reason than the enjoyment of it. A type of demon is immune to electricity, for which does not make me very happy. They are also able to tolerate extremes in the elements of acid, cold, and fire. If we encounter one demon, beware, for they can summon more of their kind, and communicate with all creatures via their minds. I surely hope that we encounter few of them, as my usual tactics will be not very effective against them."

On the rail:

Talas sits and looks out the window for time. Sur'kil had evaded all questions about their mission thus far, and Talas found it hard to hide his annoyance. For an hour or so, he sits with his arms crossed over his chest, glaring at Sur'kil who is reading a book. Talas eventually gets tired of giving their employee daggers and loudly clears his throat until Sur'kil looks up. When he does Talas points to some of Sur'kils treasures as pleasantly as he can, and without hiding his avid curiousity and thirst for some sort of knowledge, he says, "May I examine those materials as well? Perhaps whatver mystery lies in your artifacts a fresh new mind would help."

Redclaw

First Post
Sur'kil looks up for a moment. He seems confused by your request, then points toward a couple of books he moved out of his way a moment before and says, I don't think I'll be needing those if you need some reading material for the trip. I'm rather busy searching for answers and clues here, so I can't answer questions for you though. With that he turns right back to his books and notes.
The two books he offered you are written in a language you don't understand.

Redclaw

First Post
Upon arrival in Korranberg, Sur'kil rushes you off the train and into a waiting coach which transports you down to the docks. By way of explanation, Sur'kil says, Too many others might be interested in these finds. I can't have anyone see us and get curious.

When you get to the docks you are ushered into a waiting longboat and rowed out to a galleon that bears the arms of House Lyrandar. Her name is the Swiftwind.

When your gear is stowed, Sur'kil invites you into his cabin. There he finally gives you some of the information you've been waiting for. The location you will be surveying is in the jungles of the Q'barran peninsula, to the south of the great volcano of Haka'torvhak. From Adderport, the destination of this vessel, you will have a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha'shazul. The temple is your destination, and the site of the relics you seek.

The temple is now used by a tribe of lizardfolk worshippers of some half-fiend dragon god. From what I understand, they demand tribute from other lizardfolk tribes in the region, so I would expect them to be armed and capable. However, the temple and its inhabitants are merely an obstacle.

I believe that the Temple of Kha'shazul hides a deeper secret, one unknown even to the current inhabitants. My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time.

These items might prove useful in your journey.
He gives you a map, marked with a number of trails and landmarks. He also gives you a small box that contains five vials and two stones. The vials are antitoxin. You can never be too careful in the jungle. The stones are sending stones. You can use them to contact me, sending me a message of up to 25 words. I will then be able to send a response of similar length. Each stone will work only once. Please use them to contact me once you find any relics, or if you find yourself at an impasse and planning to return without any relics.

Zurai

First Post
[sblock=Alexa's letter]
Dear Mama and Papa,
All is well with me at the moment; I hope this letter finds you and the boys similarly disposed. I am writing to inform you of recent events. We just finished another mission for the Flame and were eating a dinner in town, when someone sent us a magical Sivis message asking to employ us! Talas said it was like a voice speaking in his head that wasn't his own - but with Talas, I'm not so sure that would be unusual! Regardless, we met our new employer just an hour ago and he wants to hire us to explore some old ruins and bring back artifacts of historical import. He seemed quite the scholar; he got very upset when Bregan suggested that the artifacts should be destroyed. Anyhow, as a result of our new employment, I may be away for up to a month again. I hope to be able to visit you when this assignment ends.

With all my love,
Alexa
[/sblock]

"My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time."

Alexa tilts her head to the side slightly and asks, "So, are we looking for the crypt of the ancient demon, or of its half-dragon guardian? Or, perhaps, both?"

Redclaw

First Post
My research suggests that there will be little in the way of a crypt for the demon. Most such creatures were cast down by the combined might of a cadre of dragons, and their destruction was celebrated. There isn't likely to be any artifact or relic connected to the demon itself.

The half-dragon guardian, however, would have been left there to guard the site and prevent any attempt to undo what was done. It would have been honored and well provided for. Thus in its crypt there are likely to be a few items of historical significance, to say the least.

Hopefully now you can see why I thought it unlikely that you would find any items of power. They simply would not be likely to be laid to rest with such a guardian.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Let us be off. Bregan did not enjoy being in this man's presence, and made no effort of hiding it. His bow in hand, be begins walking toward the door.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Talas

"Oh great, fiends and dragons," he says rolling his eyes. After thinking to himself of the possibilities might be he still asks, "What kind of half-dragon are we talking about here, any idea?" Talas is about to turn to leave, following the shifter when he says, "Hey didn't you promise us the rest of our payment now?"

[sblock=Knowledge Arcana on the possilbilities of the type of half-dragon guardian] 26 [/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
[sblock=evolutionKB]
Your understanding of the arcane arts lets you know that many dragons are accomplished shapechangers, and thus a half-dragon can come in almost any form. You've heard of things all the way from a half-dragon ogre to a a half-dragon unicorn.
As to specific half-dragons in an ancient guardian role, you don't have any information (I think that would be knowledge history.[/sblock]

Sur'kil looks at you in confusion at first, then nods as his thoughts come back to business. Yes, yes. Of course. My apologies, good Talas. He pulls out a large coffer from under his bed and spends a moment concentrating on it, then opens it. After rustling around for a bit he pulls out a purse and hands it over. You'll have to divide it out, but there are 20 pieces of platinum for each of you. That should make up the half up front that I promised you.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Bregan pauses, Talas, I would appreciate a private word with you outside. Bregan exits without listening for a response.

[sblock=Talas]
I know very little about what is going on, but something is wrong. He knows things from the past that very few know, he has a small treasure, and a very distinct interest in ancient relics. This man should be a famous scholar, or even the leader of his own house. Please, look upon these facts with an open mind. My instinct is all I have, and it is screaming at me that he is different. Perhaps I am wrong, but perhaps I am right.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]

Okay, Bregan may be alittle bit too suspicious. He may be wrong lol. He just has to find something wrong with this guy. [/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads