• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reducing spell resistance

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:

Given that a 5th level spell is a minimum of a 9th level caster, you may as well call it -10 and be done with it. There's not much point in saying "The spell reduces SR by 9 points if you're a 9th level caster, or 10 points for everyone else".

Yup, I did actually forget to add "I'd make this a 4th level spell"; if overpowered for a 4th level spell, you could also permit a saving throw every round which, if successful, enables the affected creature to put up its SR again (thereby ending the spell).

I do like the Empowered option, too. Perhaps we can move this to the House Rules board for further enlightenment.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

the Jester

Legend
Al'Kelhar said:

How do you find your version works in practice?

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Just about right. The party I'm running has two caster that occasionally throw it around (when they expect to need it- they're very good at anticipating trouble- they have it in abundance). Each is 16th level right now, which translates to a -8 on SR. That's pretty hefty; it really helps the sorcerer/wizard penetrate (he's only 6/7, so his spell penetration rolls suck- but he's got a custom feat to help out with that).

Against a monster with virtually unbeatable SR, the +6 to your roll is pretty darn handy, but it isn't a sure bet even then. Since there's no save, I figured it ought to have SR- the 2e version gave no save and half your normal MR.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Hypersmurf said:
Easy. Most SR is Spell-like, so it goes away in an Antimagic Field...

[dusts off hands] Well, my job here is done :)

-Hyp.

Actually, SR is (Ex) so it doesn't go away in an anti-magic field. (page 10, MM and page 81, DMG).

There's two weapon enhancements in Monte Cook's BoEM III that reduces the SR of a creature on each successful hit (no save/SR). I believe the first one takes away something like 2 SR per hit and the other takes away 6, not sure since its off of my head though (recovers SR eventually).

Hope that helps :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Actually, SR is (Ex) so it doesn't go away in an anti-magic field. (page 10, MM and page 81, DMG).

You're quite correct - I misinterpreted a table in the SRD. I thought it said Spell Resistance is [Sp] unless specifically stated otherwise, where was actually saying Spell Resistance protects against [Sp] unless specifically stated otherwise.

-Hyp.

JChung2003

First Post
An example of a couple of spells that reduce spell resistance (from Neverwinter Nights):

Lesser Spell Breach
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Target or Area: One creature, or object

As dispel magic, except that you dispel up to two spells, you cannot counterspell (except lesser spell breach), and the affected creature get a -3 resistance penalty to spell resistance.

Greater Spell Breach
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Target or Area: One creature, or object

As dispel magic, except that you dispel up to four spells, you cannot counterspell (except greater spell breach), and the affected creature get a -5 resistance penalty to spell resistance.

I'm not sure if it does a dispel check or automatically strips the two or four most powerful spells, but that's the gist of it, and anyways you were asking about spells that reduce spell resistance.

FireLance

Legend
Another way to get around the problem of spell resistance is to cast spells that don't allow for spell resistance. The various Summon spells, Transmute Rock to Mud (and vice-versa), Telekinesis (used to hurl stuff at a target), Evard's Black Tentacles, Earthquake, Maze, Solid Fog, Creeping Doom, Entangle, Animate Rope, Reverse Gravity and possibly others can be quite effective when used creatively. Spellcasting is not all Magic Missiles, Fireballs and Meteor Swarms, you know.

Fenes 2

First Post
The Kingdom of Kalamar's Player Guide has a metamagic feat that gives the caster +2 to the SR check for every level the spell is cast higher - that magic missile cast at level 7 will add 12 to the SR check. A sorcerer can use it as needed on th fly and affect many a creature with SR. Save DC is not affected, unlike the various spell power abilities.

Bauglir

First Post
FireLance said:
Another way to get around the problem of spell resistance is to cast spells that don't allow for spell resistance. The various Summon spells, Transmute Rock to Mud (and vice-versa), Telekinesis (used to hurl stuff at a target), Evard's Black Tentacles, Earthquake, Maze, Solid Fog, Creeping Doom, Entangle, Animate Rope, Reverse Gravity and possibly others can be quite effective when used creatively. Spellcasting is not all Magic Missiles, Fireballs and Meteor Swarms, you know.

Think about the SORCERERS mannnn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads