• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reducing spell resistance

mmu1

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

So after 2 feats he still had a sucky chance to suceed. And probably only did it because of the 3e haste with 2 spells. In 3.5 the oportunity cost is much higher if per round you get one chance to penetrate. And even then the roper likely only lost because he is fire vulnerable.

That's kind of the point. He basically had a 35% chance of killing the damn thing outright with each fireball. I don't consider those "sucky" odds.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
mmu1 said:

That's kind of the point. He basically had a 35% chance of killing the damn thing outright with each fireball. I don't consider those "sucky" odds.

After two feats and with the monster taking double damage from the attack. Yeah in a set up where SR is high and you can do double damage its not as much as a penalty. But that's the exception not the standard of SR.

Trine

First Post
The roper has extraordinarily high SR for its CR. Most creatures have around CR + 10-14... not CR + 18. For a caster with no Spell Penetration or Greater Spell Penetration feat's it's usually around a 50% chance to do damage with a direct effect. Chances get a lot better with those two feats.

I wouldn't consider an encounter with a roper to be really indicative of any problems with SR.

Remove ads