D&D General Refresh my memory on the lethality of 3rd ed

Voadam

Legend
Rend was only available for monsters that also had "Snatch". Using Rend was the DMs way of saying "I was given a choice of extra damage or bringing out the Grapple rules, and I have chosen the lesser evil. You will get no save against the extra damage, and you will still thank me for it."
:) I want to agree because I agree with the sentiment on the choice, but the only monsters with rend that I can think of off the top of my head are trolls which don't have the snatch feat. And conversely the only thing with snatch are dragons which don't have rend.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Rend was only available for monsters that also had "Snatch". Using Rend was the DMs way of saying "I was given a choice of extra damage or bringing out the Grapple rules, and I have chosen the lesser evil. You will get no save against the extra damage, and you will still thank me for it."
Uh what? Let me introduce you to an iconic creature with Rend, the Troll.

No Snatch Here

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I only ever played with one Assassin at the table, and they quickly accepted an assignment to go off and do some solo mission (?) which took them away from the party for the whole session, so I have zero real experience with what they could do other than "uh, they were kind of like Rogues, but could use shields, and they have special rules in the DMG".
Their weapons-useable selection is also considerably larger than that of Thieves.

In my first major campaign a Dwarf Assassin became the longest-serving character in the game and, to such extent as he allowed, the heart and soul of the party. He came in as a "Fighter" and by the time they realized what he really was, several adventures later, he'd made himself a key part of the core group.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I was thinking of the Feat version of Rend, from the Draconomicon: Rend – Feat – D&D Tools
Ah, good old WotC and their confusing Feat requirements and limitations. To learn to Rend, one must learn to Snatch, but remember, if you want to Rend, you can't Snatch anyone!

Right up there with "ok, so we'll give you away to stand still and attack everyone within reach on your turn, but first you must learn how to move around the battlefield more effectively, attack on the run, and uh, while we're at it, throw in the ability to fight defensively!"

"Wait, everyone can fight defensively."

"Oh no, I meant the other way to fight defensively, that you need 130 IQ for!"

Remove ads