Regale Me Tales of Your Games!

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Who is running and/or playing in a WOIN game? Tell us of your triumphs, your tragedies and most importantly your opinions!

I am running a NEW game for my wife solo. Not as far future as the default for NEW - haven't really gotten out of the solar system yet. The wife's character is recruited to what amounts to a Stargate organization. Hook - only people with certain genes, and have psionics, can trigger the gate activation - she has them, fairly rare combination.

On her fist mission, she went into a medieval world - fought some zombies (pretty easy fight with blasters/lasers), and has politics in the town she is visiting causing problems. She will meet a dragon there as well. Some worlds will be full on magical OLD, some are modern, some will be futuristic. The campaign structure allows me to try all different possible combos of the WOIN rules. It's been fun so far.

PolloParrington

First Post
Two sessions deep into our Sci-Fantasy High Magic mashup combining all of OLD and NEW together; all careers, races, magic and psionics on the table, in addition to some choice selections from EONS. Players were free to throw together just about anything, and we have a fairly large table full of RPG veterans and relative newcomers alike. Our cast of characters includes:

-- An alcoholic Felan assassin wielding far too many knives
-- A Sylvan Elf arcane archer who charges her arrows with shadows, mist and illusions
-- A protocol replicant with the occasional violent malfunction
-- A naive, nervous housekeeping droid who doubles as their engineer
-- A burnt out Venetian ex-Star Knight
-- An uplifted gunslinging space otter (someone really wanted to play Rocket the Raccoon)
-- and an elderly poker-playing lightning-slinging ship pilot.

So far, we've had two combats; one was a scaled down trial run with pushover space zombies on a ghost ship, and the second was dialled up to their grade level with foes that played a bit smarter. Despite two party members getting dropped by hexed bullets and ticking towards death, the group still managed to pull off an escape. Here's some notes of my own and from my players so far about the system:

-- Bit of a slow start until people started to get a firm grasp of the rules. After the end of the second session the pace was picking up a bit better.
-- Astonishingly, the players bemoaned the lack of a Critical Failure, so we house-ruled one in cobbled together from another system: anytime you fail a roll and more than half the dice are showing 1's, you've botched the task something horrible and the GM is encouraged to be fiendish.
-- Character customization is capital C Crunchy, especially once you give them a bucket of XP to go to town with. A few players can't decide what to improve or what Career grade to buy, so we've added the house rule that you can only add a career grade in something you've already acquired (from your past) or something that another PC or NPC is willing to teach you (buddy up with your party's mage to learn a few secrets.)
-- One player in particular really enjoys the Exploit system, stating that it gives a great deal of flavour to individual characters and helps them really stand out from the rest of the pack.
-- Those coming from 5th Edition D&D weren't expecting to get dropped in two or three shots, and the group is learning in a hurry that coordination is essential to staying alive. Also, those playing sneakier characters are already hunting for more exploits to amp up their sneak attack capabilities (I think they miss their buckets of sneak attack dice from their high-level rogues)
-- Custom-making spells on the fly at the table is liable to grind our combats to a halt, so we're going with the Ritual option presented in OLD; all spells are pre-made ahead of time. We also added an additional house rule that a character can only have a number of prepared spells ready to cast with their MP each day equal to their LOG attribute. Players are free to cook up plenty of other spells with their characters free time, but they can only change up their prepared spells when taking their rest to recover Health.
-- Combat cheat-sheets listing what kinds of actions you can take, as well as modifiers you might gain, are definitely going to come in handy. That said, it's been by-and-large engaging, and even with a full group and plenty of opponents it moves relatively quickly (we try to keep each player's turn to under sixty seconds.)
-- They've just gotten their first spaceship, so we're likely to have a proper ship-to-ship slugfest in the next few sessions. More news to follow!

Remove ads