• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regarding Druid Animal Companions

Marimmar

First Post
Thanx for the huge response everyone :)

A point that repeatedly came up:

We took spontaneous healing away from the cleric for a reason,
a) the cleric spells got boosted in the transition from 2nd to 3rd edition, most of them no longer suck.
b) there are a lot more healing spells to choose from, thus the cleric no longer has to block whole spell levels for healing spells.
c) clerics have tons of spells per level because of their domain spells and the fact that they get all spells of a level for free. They can easily put aside half their spells for healing purposes unless they play in a bloody hack'n slay campaign. But let me tell you, from my experience it is much more frustrating for a cleric player to just stand behind the frontline fighters pumping healing spell after healing spell into them to keep them in fighting condition.
d) Not having spontaneous healing leads to less bloody campaigns since the DM doesn't have to pull out the extra lethal monsters to challenge the party.

BTW, we took <i>haste</i> away from the mages as well since in our last campaign the monsters got chewed up by quadruple <i>fireballs</i> from our two mages. That wasn't fun for anyone anymore.

Back on topic, I will heed some of the advice given here, I didn't know about the 'tricks' and that normal animals don't like to attack aberrations, oozes and and other weird stuff. Maybe I can talk our druidess into taking another animal companion like the dire wolf instead, thus lowering the fighting prowess somewhat. I totally agree that the animal companion is great on middle levels but I foresee that character level + magic items will diminish the benefits in the long run.

Someone stated that the wolverine shouldn't be used as a walking tank - it isn't. The druidess forms the rearguard of the group most of the time, the wolverine is never forced to walk ahead with the fighter types or abused in any other way.

*starts writing an eMail to his RPG buddies*

~Marimmar

PS: The druidess is elven

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Saeviomagy said:
1) An awakened animal is an animal.

2) a 5th level druid could have 10 hd of creatures, but any one of them could only have a maximum of 5 hd?

3) Finally, take note of the fact that in order to make your animal attack unusual opponents (ie - anything which is an aberration, undead or outsider), you have to spend a trick for each category.

1) Wrong, see above.

2) Wrong, a traveling druid can normaly take along a total of his level in HD. If he is stationary (in an environ that supports such critters), then he can maintain up to twice his level in HD.

3) Wrong. It takes one trick to make a pet attack on command, and a second trick to make him attack (all) strange and unusual creatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads