D&D 3E/3.5 Regarding Skill Point Calculation for Humans in Slaine - the Role-Playing-Game of Celtic-Heroes...

Excuse me, we are now figuring this out in the real world and I'm doing this with one of my support workers. While most admittedly, we are not mathematicians, we have come up with final score of 54 skill points at first level only. Because, none of you know about the 6 extra skill points she gets (They must be spent on Knowledge skills only...) at first level only for being a Seminary Witch. It's just another template for the Witch class that has this as bonus feature. See...

ApplicationFrameHost_RG0D9cBqCW.png

When a human character gets 4 bonus skill levels at 1st level and 1 point per level thereafter, you do NOT multiply that initial 4 bonus points. The D&D 3e (both 3.0 and 3.5) Player's Handbook is explicit about this. I don't know of Sláine is similarly explicit because the text may have been cut from the SRD on which the d20 Sláine was based. But the intent is the same - humans can maintain 1 additional class skill at full investment over non-human characters. That translates to 4 skill points at 1st level, +1 skill point per level after that. You do not multiply that 4 skill points further because it has already been calculated into the statement.

So, if the witch gets 4 skill points/level (16 at 1st, 4 per level thereafter), is human and so gets 1 skill point/level (4 at 1st, 1 per level thereafter), and has an intelligence of 18 for 4 skill points/level (16 at 1st, 4 per level thereafter), she should start with 36 skill points. She will then add 9 skill points per level thereafter (4 for witch, 1 for human, 4 for intelligence).
Any character's starting skill points will always be 4x what they get per level thereafter. So your calculation of 9 skill points per level in the post above mine is right - and tells you that she gets 36 skill points at 1st level.
I finally get you, your talking about the Skill points gained on level advancement after the first. I was never multiplying those into the first lvel equation and I still got 54 skill points.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I finally get you, your talking about the Skill points gained on level advancement after the first. I was never multiplying those into the first lvel equation and I still got 54 skill points.
Not just after the first level, but also first level. And even with the 6 bonus points for her template, that's 42, not 54. I have no idea where you're getting the additional 12 points.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Right. Based on the details provided, at each level-up the Witch gains 4 skill points for her class, 4 points for her 18 Int, and 1 extra point for being human, for a total of 9.

At first level (assuming the same 18 Int) she gets:
4 skill points for her class, multiplied by 4 = 16
4 skill points for her Int, multiplied by 4 = 16
4 skill points for being human, which has ALREADY BEEN multiplied by 4 relative to its normal "1 extra per level" rate = 4
And another 6 points for knowledges specifically for her special bonus = 6

For a total of 36 general and 6 more specifically for Knowledge skills = 42 points.

MonkeyBoy - at last someone else with the book able to reply to my original post!

I agree with what you've written - but didn't want to colour any opinions by giving my view first!

My only real pet hate is the warp spasm. I always envisioned it as the equivalent of the barbarian's rage (but with a more visual effect!). The rules for them follow a similar pattern to rage but assign it as a race attribute. I could live with that except the Tribal Warrior can rage as well . . .

In essence I would prefer the "warp spasm/rage" to be either a class ability or a race ability and not a mixture of both.

Ideally I would prefer it as a class ability using the rage mechanic (in keeping with the barbarian) with perhaps a limited cause fear effect (radius and DC increasing with level).

I can only assume that rage and warp spasm were kept separate to enable berserkers to be Tribal Warriors rather than Warped Ones. However, from the relevant myths I don't recall the riastarthe being more powerful than the beserksgangr . . .

However, as I said in my last post the book gives a good basis for a DM to work with.

Not just after the first level, but also first level. And even with the 6 bonus points for her template, that's 42, not 54. I have no idea where you're getting the additional 12 points.
Will get back to you later when I figure that one out...
Right. Based on the details provided, at each level-up the Witch gains 4 skill points for her class, 4 points for her 18 Int, and 1 extra point for being human, for a total of 9.

At first level (assuming the same 18 Int) she gets:
4 skill points for her class, multiplied by 4 = 16
4 skill points for her Int, multiplied by 4 = 16
4 skill points for being human, which has ALREADY BEEN multiplied by 4 relative to its normal "1 extra per level" rate = 4
And another 6 points for knowledges specifically for her special bonus = 6

For a total of 36 general and 6 more specifically for Knowledge skills = 42 points.
Oh, you actually multiply (by 4) each part of the equation (in brackets) before you add them altogether. Well, at least that adds up the way you it does, but otherwise doesn't make much sense doing it that way... :unsure:

I had somebody pick Dwarf and then decide to be a Witch. Of course, I know this should bet discouraged, but I think it's still doable. It just seems the idea of a Dwarf Witch is more progressive in those times when Humans appear to dominate in more things. Anyway, my reason for putting it up here is to just double check that she only get 16 skill points all up with her ineffective intelligence stat. Maybe I shouldn't have made that her dump stat. As I was the one who assign the stats my player rolled up since they said they haven't clue how to assign them,
I will list them here...

Str 11,
Dex 18,
Con, 12,
Int 11,
Wis 15,
Cha 15.

????

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I had somebody pick Dwarf and then decide to be a Witch. Of course, I know this should bet discouraged, but I think it's still doable. It just seems the idea of a Dwarf Witch is more progressive in those times when Humans appear to dominate in more things. Anyway, my reason for putting it up here is to just double check that she only get 16 skill points all up with her ineffective intelligence stat. Maybe I shouldn't have made that her dump stat. As I was the one who assign the stats my player rolled up since they said they haven't clue how to assign them,
I will list them here...

Str 11,
Dex 18,
Con, 12,
Int 11,
Wis 15,
Cha 15.

????
16 for the class. 0 for Int. And another 6 points for knowledges specifically for her special bonus if she's a Seminary Witch.

Remove ads