• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regarding some Fighter's powers and feats.

PierceSG

First Post
Assuming the fighter is a lv 4 Warforged Fighter. With a Warhammer and Heavy Shield equipped.

With the following feats;
Forceful Opportunist
Hammering Iron
Battering Shield

And the following at-will powers;
Tide of Iron
Knockdown Assault

Encounter power;
Shield Bash

Daily power;
Unstoppable Advance

Assuming, I had [Unstoppable Advance] activated, did a [Tide of Iron], what happens?

- Unstoppable Advance (Daily, Stance, Minor Action): Until the stance ends, whenever you hit with a melee weapon attack, you push that creature 1 square and can shift 1 square to a square the creature vacated.
- Tide of Iron (At-Will, Standard): Hit doing 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you can push the target 1 square if it is no larger than one size category larger than you. You can then shift 1 square into the space that target left.
- Battering Shield (Feat): When you are wielding a heavy shield and push or slide a target with a melee attack, you can move the target 1 additional square.

Also, if a target was hit by his OA with the following feats and Unstoppable Advance active?

- Forceful Opportunist (Feat): Whenever you hit a target with an OA, you can push the target 1 square and shift into the square the target vacated.
- Hammering Iron (Feat): Whenever you hit a target with an OA using a hammer, you can push the target 1 square.
- Battering Shield (Feat): When you are wielding a heavy shield and push or slide a target with a melee attack, you can move that target 1 additional square.
- Unstoppable Advance (Daily, Stance): Until the stance ends, whenever you hit any creature with a melee weapon attack, you can push that creature 1 square and can shift 1 square to a square the creature vacated.

What would happen with the 2 examples above?

I'm very interested to know what I can do. :p

DracoSuave

First Post
In the first case, you'd push the target one square, enter the square it vacated, push the target another square, enter the square it vacated, then pushed it one more square. Battering shield will apply because one of the pushes is the effect of a melee attack.

In the second case, you'll accomplish the same thing, push 4, move 2. One might argue that battering shield won't apply because none of the pushing is the effect of the attack, but of feats or non-weapon powers that trigger after the attack hits.

PierceSG

First Post
Thanks for the reply! That sounds like fun. A defender knocking some poor sod from one end of the field to the other end. XD

Spatula

Explorer
And the Bludgeon Expertise feat adds +1 to pushes and slides. Although it's a feat bonus, so I don't know if it will stack with the other feats.

PierceSG

First Post
I suppose it will stack since none of the other feats I've listed said anything about conferring feat bonus, if I'm not mistaken.

In the first case, you'd push the target one square, enter the square it vacated, push the target another square, enter the square it vacated, then pushed it one more square. Battering shield will apply because one of the pushes is the effect of a melee attack.

In the second case, you'll accomplish the same thing, push 4, move 2. One might argue that battering shield won't apply because none of the pushing is the effect of the attack, but of feats or non-weapon powers that trigger after the attack hits.

I would just note however that NOTHING indicates these effects stack. No matter how many way you get 'push 1' the net result is still push 1. Thus Unstoppable Advance and Tide of Iron don't particularly stack, but Tide of Iron will certainly trigger Battering Shield, so I would say you push 2 and advance 1 square into the square vacated by the opponent. This is a general pattern in 4e, if have X of something and you then get Y of that thing, you have the better of X or Y. In order for things to stack they have to be expressed in terms of adding to something, such as the way bonuses work where they are always expressed as +N (on top of which the rules specifically state that they stack).

Overall the stacking of things like this, particularly between feats, powers, and other effects, is not entirely well-defined. You can certainly justify either interpretation here. I would discuss it with the DM.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Assuming, I had [Unstoppable Advance] activated, did a [Tide of Iron], what happens?

- Unstoppable Advance (Daily, Stance, Minor Action): Until the stance ends, whenever you hit with a melee weapon attack, you push that creature 1 square and can shift 1 square to a square the creature vacated.
- Tide of Iron (At-Will, Standard): Hit doing 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you can push the target 1 square if it is no larger than one size category larger than you. You can then shift 1 square into the space that target left.
- Battering Shield (Feat): When you are wielding a heavy shield and push or slide a target with a melee attack, you can move the target 1 additional square.

I think you would only push him 2 and then shift 1 into the square he vacated. Unstoppable advance and Tide of Iron don't say anything about adding to existing pushes, so they won't stack.

Also, if a target was hit by his OA with the following feats and Unstoppable Advance active?

- Forceful Opportunist (Feat): Whenever you hit a target with an OA, you can push the target 1 square and shift into the square the target vacated.
- Hammering Iron (Feat): Whenever you hit a target with an OA using a hammer, you can push the target 1 square.
- Battering Shield (Feat): When you are wielding a heavy shield and push or slide a target with a melee attack, you can move that target 1 additional square.
- Unstoppable Advance (Daily, Stance): Until the stance ends, whenever you hit any creature with a melee weapon attack, you can push that creature 1 square and can shift 1 square to a square the creature vacated.

In this case, you would still just Push the target 2 squares and shift 1 into the square he vacated. It is actually worthless to have both Hammering Iron and Forceful Opportunist. It is also worthless to have Unstoppable Advance up if you plan on just using Tide of Iron. The cool thing about Unstoppable Advance is that it turns OTHER melee powers into Tide of Iron.

keterys

First Post
If three effects push 1 a creature... I'm pretty sure it got pushed 3 squares. (Much like if three effects add 2 to damage, you add 6 damage)

Remove ads