Pathfinder 2E Regarding the complexity of Pathfinder 2

BryonD

Hero
Except 4e was stupendously succesful by any standard that is not "Hasbro Core Brand" (a metric by which every single RPG ever published is a failure), and that was with all the obvious self-inflicted marketting wounds.

I don't think it would be productive to drag this thread into this dead horse beating.
It is more than fair to claim that without the massive leg up that 4E received by virtue of simply being D&D, it would have not shown up meaningfuly in the ranks of "every single RPG". So judging it in context is fair. It failed badly. And it failed because way to many people didn't enjoy PLAYING it. You can't blame it on marketing when it was a MASSIVE success on launch. Marketing gets people to the dance. The music and atmosphere get them to stay. A deeply faithful niche fanbase notwithstanding, people left the dance very early.

A 4e-like game is an obvious and popular niche that has been largely abandonded by WotC, so it makes sense that Paizo should go after that niche. Not that PF2 is particularly similar to 4e, but if it were it would not be the disaster you are trying to paint.

_
glass.
I think the "reaction to 3E" remains a very key point of equivalence between 4E and PF2E and it is very fair to judge them on that.
The obsession with staying in a balanced fixed-math design space is dominant in both games. I completely agree with you that they are very dissimilar in detail. But that math core shows up as the foundation of the complaints throughout this thread and elsewhere.

Obviously there are people who really love PF2E. And there is no reason to have an issue with that.
But PF2E should also be judged in context and it could have had a far bigger dance.

glass

(he, him)
I don't think it would be productive to drag this thread into this dead horse beating.
...but you could not resist doing so anyway. 4e made a shed-load of money, despite a terrible introductory adventure, things like PHB2 and 3 confusing consumers, and then Essentials turning that confusion up to eleven. That is, at this point, historical fact, and I cannot think of any reason to deny it (well, I can think of one reason).

I think the "reaction to 3E" remains a very key point of equivalence between 4E and PF2E and it is very fair to judge them on that.
Oh, they were definitely reactions to 3e/PF1, and there is a certain amount of convergent evolution there, as is to be expected given that they were trying to address the same problems. But I utterly reject the rest of your characterisation (that I mostly snipped). Getting the maths right so the game actually works as intended is not an "obsession", it is the designers doing a fundamental part of their job.

_
glass.

glass

(he, him)
"works as intended" is a really poor argument that's mostly meant to be unassailable.
If that is aimed at me, I am not sure what argument you think I was making in that post? I stated a few facts, and then gave a couple of opinions. That said, do you really disagree that working to get the maths to work is something that RPG designers should be doing?

_
glass.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Edit: On second thought, I'm probably coming on unintentionally strong on you Kenada. My frustrations is with Paizo, not you. I'm about to edit today's responses accordingly.
Things can sometimes get heated, so I appreciate the awareness and the corrections. Thanks, and no worries. 😃

Feel free to discuss this, but let's not lose focus of my overarching point: the existing rules for Crafting and Earn Income are massively overengineered, unintuitive, cluttery, not-in-tune-with-the-rest-of-the-game, and time-consuming for both players and characters - even if they were to hire Kenada to rewrite the actual text in a more logical accessible way.
House rules for the house rules thread makes sense, so I’ll just let that part drop.

I don’t think we agree on the nature of Earn Income or Craft, but I think we also seem to have different thresholds or preferences for what constitutes “simple”. To me, it’s just a cost and a check. To you, it’s a fiddly thing that doesn’t do what you want. Continuing to go back and forth on it will probably not be particularly fruitful (although I do appreciate the nudge to rewrite/clarify the RAW and fix the special text to remove the roll-to-failure element).

“Fortunately”, and I’m intentionally putting that in quotes, neither Craft nor Earn Income are really core to the experience. Like you said, it’s unusual to get much downtime in an AP. I think if you can find something that does what you want, just go with it. That’s what rule #1 of PF2 is for after all. 😄

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Pathfinder 2 is absolutely everything but "consistent with few exceptions". The game in general is shock full of weird little special rules, conditions, and limitations. Very little of it feels earned, or contributive to the play experience.

The game screams for a general mechanism to grease the wheels, one that empowers the gamesmaster to allow slight deviations from what the framework lets you do.
I actually recognized that in one of my other posts when I brought up skill feats. I think it’s a good idea, but it screws up the simplicity.

When I say the framework is consistent with few exceptions, I mean the framework. You get three actions and a reaction, and you don’t have various exceptions written into the framework. We don’t need to have discussions about how many times a paladin can smite in a round or whether under some circumstances we can cast two spells because the action economy handles that. We also don’t need to memorize a table of situations where something provokes an AoO, but we also don’t have to give up the richness that 3e and PF1 had by simplifying it down to one or two events. Yes, there are traits like [Flourish] and other traits, but if you’re not dealing with those, you can ignore them. If you are, they’re explicit about what they do.

The same goes for making rolls. Everything is a check. Everything works on a same scale. If you can justify rolling a Reflex attack versus an Attack DC, the math will work. Something modify Strength checks? Then yes it affects your attack roll. They restate that in conditions like enfeeble, but I think that’s just to accommodate people who are used to attacks and saves and checks all being distinct things.

I use this in my exploration procedure when trying to force march: You make a Fortitude save versus your Constitution DC. It’s succinct, and it lets me avoid having to try to write something that understandably conveys the same thing but in more words. “Make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + your level”, but I’m pretty sure people will sometimes forget to add their level. Roll a number on your sheet versus another number on your sheet is much easier, and it feels more flavorful.

So when a situation occurs, I can use the framework the system provides to adjudicate it. If someone is doing something with their hands, and it’s not just an Interact action, then I can determine that it has the [Manipulate] trait, and things that key off that all just react accordingly.

For example, I have my PCs carry bows in slings when they’re traveling. How long does it take to ready a bow? You need to Interact to take it off your back, Interact to remove it from the sling, Interact to brace it behind your leg, Interact to bend it forward, and Interact to put the string in place. Five actions! The system doesn’t have rules for that, but I was able to come up with something that just naturally fit in the action economy and actually makes sense realistically (just go watch some videos on Youtube and see how long it takes people to string a bow). No rulings, just applying the framework.

Like I said before, skill feats are problematic. They muddle the framework. I don’t find your example problems compelling, but I agree with the basic premise: it should be possible to do something unusual with a skill at a higher DC than normal. If you want to Make an Impression to a group, it should just be possible to attempt that at a higher DC. Technically, that wouldn’t negate the benefit of Group Impression, but the rules aren’t clear on being able to do that, and we can’t trust that Paizo will never design skill feats that don’t mess up that approach.

Instead of looking at their prototype three-action framework and going "we need to let the GM allow skill checks to transcend and ignore the weird artefacts that can happen" Paizo instead said "let's double down on the hard no's by inventing a feat for everything we can identify as something to lock down!" "Gating things behind feats must be good, right, since it means more options! Right? Right?"
In theory, yes. Having non-combat customization as its own thing ensure those options actually get taken. Players have a tendency to focus only on combat benefits. In practice, see above.

Everyday actions like climb, jump, crawl are weirdly locked down. Related feats come across not as making you awesome. Instead they make you not actively suck.
The GMG explains why: they wanted to make it easy to understand how things work. It should have been said in the CRB, but they recommend allowing PCs to combine types of movement into two-action activities as appropriate. Of course, we need to trust that any skill feat written in a future that confers a similar benefit must be written to only take one action, so it doesn’t negate the thing we thought (and they told us!) we could do.

Nearly every feat and item brings some kind of tiny puny and frankly unnecessary special condition or limitation that increases the rules burden on the player and GM.

Far too many feats work the "same, same but different" way than a feat you'd think would do the same thing. It does, just with niggly little differences.

Too many magic items work like in 4th edition in that they're too much of a hassle to be worth the bother. Getting a +1 or +2 bonus once every blue moon on a specific check just isn't worth remembering.

I could probably present a hundred different examples proving this beyond the slightest doubt, but I fear it would mean going down a rabbit hole that gives actual mental damage, so I shan't.
I’m just lumping these all together because they seem to go to the same point: there’s a lot of stuff, and it’s not interesting enough to justify its existence.

I think it was a mistake not to have a mechanism for combat styles. All the martial classes should be able to pick a style and have feats available to take from it. I’d feel comfortable letting martial classes take a fighting style dedication provided they spent their 2nd level feat on a 1st level class feat, but that’s a house rule. Anyway, if martial classes could do that, then instead of having things like Twin Takedown and Double Slice, which seem superficially similar, you could just have a ranger thing that made your Double Slice take only one action when you are fighting your hunted prey.

Little bonuses don’t feel good initially, but players eventually start to internalize that a +1 means more than just an increased chance of success. Is there a way we can dig into your complaint without having to go through lots of examples (since you don’t want to go down that rabbit hole)? Is the issue that they don’t allow for enough character distinction? That if I take a feat to let me specialize in climbing walls or fighting ninjas, I’m only “a little” better instead of substantially better?

We’re probably not going to find common ground on consumables, so I’m not sure how far it’s worth going into it. I think there are situations where consumables are useful. If continuing to rest has an opportunity cost, then elixirs and potions are useful as a way to avoid another ten minutes of downtime. If encounters are foreshadowed, you can prepare for them with the right talismans. If a different game where those things aren’t true or don’t happen, they might be less useful. I’d posit that perhaps that style of game isn’t an intended way of running the system, but it’s also easy to just ignore the things that don’t work and replace those things in treasure with items that are actually useful.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Oh, they were definitely reactions to 3e/PF1, and there is a certain amount of convergent evolution there, as is to be expected given that they were trying to address the same problems. But I utterly reject the rest of your characterisation (that I mostly snipped). Getting the maths right so the game actually works as intended is not an "obsession", it is the designers doing a fundamental part of their job.
I’m a really big fan of having tools that work, so I like the way PF2 approaches balance. However, people say they want balance, but do they actually want balance? When the game is balanced properly, you can’t build your way past a hard fight. You have to actually fight it, and hard fights are hard. Look at all the problems that people are having because of that. It’s not as bad if you’re building encounters with that in mind, but Paizo is designing them assuming people love a hard skirmish game.

The solution isn’t to back off from the balance. There’s a place in the market for a game that is actually balanced, but PF2 went too far. Proficiency Without Level should have been the default. When you use Proficiency Without Level, the range of viable monsters increases considerably (~90% of the bestiary in the traditional sweet spot). Harder fights require big crowds of monsters or significantly higher level ones. That just feels intuitive, especially if you’re used to a system where a 9th level party could conceivably take on a balor.

When I say the framework is consistent with few exceptions, I mean the framework. You get three actions and a reaction, and you don’t have various exceptions written into the framework. We don’t need to have discussions about how many times a paladin can smite in a round or whether under some circumstances we can cast two spells because the action economy handles that. We also don’t need to memorize a table of situations where something provokes an AoO, but we also don’t have to give up the richness that 3e and PF1 had by simplifying it down to one or two events. Yes, there are traits like [Flourish] and other traits, but if you’re not dealing with those, you can ignore them. If you are, they’re explicit about what they do.
Don’t you only have to worry about smiting twice per round if you are a paladin? Don’t you only have to keep track of casting two non-cantrip spells in a round if you are a caster that often casts bonus action spells?

It’s just weird that you would suggest Flourish isn’t a problem (or Press, or Stance, or Manipulate, etc.) but that a paladin’s smite is.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I think when it comes to encounter difficulty part of the issue with getting some groups to adjust encounters to suit their needs is psychological. PF2 calls a spade a spade, but as we have seen in the video game world there a number of people who want to play games on an easier mode while not wanting to call it that. When you say maybe stick to low threat encounters until you find your feet it does not feel good despite being a fairly accurate assessment of encounter difficulty. Like the encounter difficulty categories in 3e, 4e and 5e have this psychological boosting effect because they call things challenges that are not in fact challenging like at all.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Don’t you only have to worry about smiting twice per round if you are a paladin? Don’t you only have to keep track of casting two non-cantrip spells in a round if you are a caster that often casts bonus action spells?

It’s just weird that you would suggest Flourish isn’t a problem (or Press, or Stance, or Manipulate, etc.) but that a paladin’s smite is.
That’s a fair point. I suppose I wasn’t very clear, and it seems like an arbitrary distinction. I’m looking at traits as something that operates on top of the action economy rather than being baked into the rules for e.g., spellcasting or attacks of opportunity. A class that wanted to work a certain way without those traits just wouldn’t use them.

I guess I view the granularity of traits versus having a rule that says otherwise the same thing as “more simple” conceptually. That’s not to say learning traits is easy. It definitely adds a learning curve, but it’s one I think is worth it if you can stick it out. As a GM, I really like how they empower me when making a ruling. I can determine that e.g., something sounds like [Manipulate], so it has that trait, and all the things that key off it now do.

Last edited:

Remove ads