Reign of Fire [2002]

Saw it for our two-year wedding anniversary. We had gone to lunch at Longhorn, and were browsing through the local paper. Saw that it was playing, seemed interesting to both of us, so went and watched. I still like the movie.

Christian Bale is known for his transformations for a role, but McConaughey does a pretty great job of it here.

Not to mention the most method acting he has put into a character, he even breathes like he's been breathing too much napalm from fighting dragons for the past two decades.

I quite enjoy this movie. It's fun, and has dragons looking about the best as they had since Dragonslayer. And the part where they reenact a scene from Empire Strikes Back as a play is a great and understated bit of storytelling.

Also, it was one of the first movies I went to see with my wife, when we first started dating. Will always have a soft spot for it as a result of that.

R_J_K75

Legend
The only thing I remember about the movie is that I went to the Regal Quaker Crossing theater to see it, and Matthew Mcconaughey and dragons were in it. The plot and any scenes escape me 20 years on. I'm not trying to crap on the thread or the movie but just saying that for me the movie was forgettable, and as far as I remember I have not seen it since. I think Stardust and the "Firefly movie" came out around the same time and all I recall about them was Robert Deniro in drag. Same guy that used to drag me out for movies I had little interest in but went to kill some time in the late 90's to mid 2000s. All three of those movies I'll pass right by if I come across them on cable.

Art Waring

halozix.com
The only thing I remember about the movie is that I went to the Regal Quaker Crossing theater to see it, and Matthew Mcconaughey and dragons were in it. The plot and any scenes escape me 20 years on. I'm not trying to crap on the thread or the movie but just saying that for me the movie was forgettable, and as far as I remember I have not seen it since. I think Stardust and the "Firefly movie" came out around the same time and all I recall about them was Robert Deniro in drag. Same guy that used to drag me out for movies I had little interest in but went to kill some time in the late 90's to mid 2000s. All three of those movies I'll pass right by if I come across them on cable.
Its more of a cult classic, if you would call it that, plus it was competing with MiBii and at least three other blockbusters that summer so it was easy to forget it in the early naughties.

Davies

Legend
I was watching it with interest but not much enthusiasm ... and then the script quoted Bertholt Brecht, and my jaw dropped. That the final act involves Hegelian dialecticism -- thesis and antithesis becoming synthesis -- was also sort of awesome.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases