Reign of Fire [2002]

Art Waring

halozix.com
A twist on the post-apocalyptic genre, where dragons have laid waste to the earth.

I think it was quite an underappreciated film, as watching it again yesterday I realized that this is really the only film I can think of where the dragons really have a lethal look and feel to them. Even by today's standards I think the monsters stand up really well. The film has a really gritty look, a solid cast of actors, and the X-Files director on board. All in all a good watch!

Here is a scene where they are tracking a dragon at high altitude in a chopper, and everything goes to hell.

So, have you seen it? What did you think?

reign-of-fire.jpg

Also, I would love to see the time between the Dragon's escape and the start of the movie.

Stalker0

Legend
While the visuals are solid at times, it’s just a train wreck of a movie otherwise.

As my friend said when I ask them about it after they had seen it, “I’m going to go to bed and cry over the two hours of my life I can never get back”

Mad_Jack

Legend
I fully acknowledge that it was not exactly a masterpiece of filmmaking, but I freakin love that film, lol... :cool:

It's one of those things where, unless you're trying to write an honest critique of the film, it's very easy to ignore the less stellar elements of it in favor of embracing the Shiny... :)

It'd have to be a pretty damn bad film (from a storyline and dialogue perspective) before a movie about modern-day post-apoc dragon hunters with awesome FX and cinematography became something I couldn't enjoy watching.

It's just like I said about the Russian superhero film Guardians - I am willing to forgive many, many flaws in a movie that has a bear with a machine gun... :cool:

Last edited:

I avoid most movie/TV threads on here—high rate of folks pushing up their glasses and finger-wagging about characters doing "stupid "things and so-called plot holes and such—but I can't resist. Reign of Fire rocks! Always has. Completely ridiculous premise that it leans all the way into, without the present-day MCU approach of non-stop winks and nudges. And a fully original concept, and no real attempt at franchise building. We might be in a golden age of nerd culture right now, in terms of sheer volume, but they genuinely do not make movies like this—mid-budget stand-alone original genre films that hold nothing back—anymore.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Dragons that eat only ash. WTF?
We all know the prefer monk à l'orange, fighter flambe, Peking paladin, warlord on the half shell, wizard tartare. Halfling over easy?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases