• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reincarnate = Immortality?

Sejs

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
... unless you're a druid or monk?

So, then do all electrical damage-dealing touch attacks gain a +3 bonus to hit against opponents in metal armor, Hyp?

Long as we're hopping on the extrapolation train and all.

moritheil

First Post
Sejs said:
So, then do all electrical damage-dealing touch attacks gain a +3 bonus to hit against opponents in metal armor, Hyp?

Long as we're hopping on the extrapolation train and all.

Hyp is asking the other poster to reconcile two contradictory statements. It's a bit different from randomly extrapolating things.

Jack Simth

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
According to my understanding of what Timeless Body tells us.

... unless you're a druid or monk?

-Hyp.
Funny thing.... it's called Timeless Body, but it doesn't actually say you stop aging physically; it says you stop acruing penalties for aging. There's a distinction.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Eh, I dont have any problems with it granting true immortality myself. They're losing a level each time, spending a bunch of gold each time (1000 GP), and eventually they're going to roll a 100. You know the DM is going to be waiting for that 100.

mvincent

Explorer
D.Shaffer said:
eventually they're going to roll a 100. You know the DM is going to be waiting for that 100.
That's what a maximized reincarnate is for ; )

This topic seems subject to interpretation, but does anyone actually think that (if asked) the official WotC answer would be "sure, reincarnate can grant immortality"?

My guess is that they would say no, and the reason they would likely give would be the "age of the soul" thing discussed earlier.

Artoomis

First Post
This is very interesting.

Question:

If a old elf gets reincarnated as a young adult human, what happens?

A. He immediately dies of old age because a human cannot live that long.

B. His age "resets" to human years - but what happens to his mental stats then? Do they get reduced back to young adult?

C. Do his mental stats stay at old age while he has a young body - and does he thus die when either his body wears out or his time is up - his predetermined age limit from when he was an elf - whichever comes first?

This is really odd.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Artoomis said:
This is very interesting.

Question:

If a old elf gets reincarnated as a young adult human, what happens?

A. He immediately dies of old age because a human cannot live that long.

B. His age "resets" to human years - but what happens to his mental stats then? Do they get reduced back to young adult?

C. Do his mental stats stay at old age while he has a young body - and does he thus die when either his body wears out or his time is up - his predetermined age limit from when he was an elf - whichever comes first?

This is really odd.

This is why the only logical explanation, IMO, is that it resets the clock, and that you start aging at the appropriate speed of your new body. An Elf who comes back as a 20 year old Human could live another 50 or 60 years or so before dying of old age, because he's Human now and ages at Human speed. If he is a Druid or Monk with Timeless Body, he still dies in 50 or 60 years, but he retains his youthful appearance and suffers no physical ability score penalties from aging.

IMO, it just doesn't make sense any other way.

Storyteller01

First Post
It's not official WotC, but MGP's Fakier gains immortality through re-incaration as a 10th level ability. He doesn't dies when his time is up, he just keeps coming back. Then again, he can't fight AT ALL but that's a balance issue...

Baramay

First Post
I seem to recall a magic item from 2nd edition Dragonlance that gave a serial immortality through magic jar. I believe it was called the Bloodstone of Fistigastandalis or something like that. Also sometime ago, I don't know if it can still be found, there was a elixir of longevity on the wizards website. As far as I know the elixir did not have the chance of retroactively gaining all of your years back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads