D&D 5E Reincarnation thoughts and problems.

MarkB

Legend
2. “Piece of a dead humanoid”: [...] Would you have your PC give a piece of their body to a party member?

"Druid, do you promise to bring me back if I die?"
"Yes, of course."
"Pinky swear?"
"Absolutely...."
* druid adds to his creepy necklace of mummified fingers *
"Are those even labelled?"

5E we have used it once. Did not work out well. Ruined the character concept and did not yield a new "good" concept. After a couple of sessions I let the player come up with a whole new character and go with it.

Voadam

Legend
3. Diamonds. Thinking about the amount of diamonds required is also an issue. I’ve never played in a game where players are carrying around diamonds for themselves to be revivified or raised form the dead, but I also know that when I once suggested a party-pool of 1000-1500 gp-worth of diamonds from the party loot, the other players didn’t buy in. What’s been your experience? In most campagins I’ve been in, there just isn’t that much gold in play – higher level characters might have a couple hundred, but not more.
In the 3e, 3.5, and pathfinder games I played in a party share for cure wound wands and some diamonds was the regular practice.

Has not come up in the 5e games I have played in but that is partly a factor of class choices and variously the levels played at.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Reincarnate is one of those spells that needs updating every time a new race comes out that you intend to use at your table. Like, you could ignore the new races, but much more fun to include them. I also think it is much more fun to make the player roll, perhaps also the caster, and allow the player to choose which of those two options they want.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
11. Updating the table?
I have a crazy version of this with far too many races, but I also just let anyone who goes for it know that their soul can push a certain way to bias it towards stuff they want. Effectively they can bias it certain ways

or if they want me to drag out the Crazier Options table, I can do that as well. however the crazier options table has. Everything.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I have a crazy version of this with far too many races, but I also just let anyone who goes for it know that their soul can push a certain way to bias it towards stuff they want. Effectively they can bias it certain ways

or if they want me to drag out the Crazier Options table, I can do that as well. however the crazier options table has. Everything.

Awesome. How often does it get used?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Basically never, especially with the current complete lack of games I got at the moment

but its ready. Prepared. Waiting. Ever expanding whenever I find some neat homebrew that makes me go 'yeah, let's just slot that into the madness portion' and worry about consequences later

Remove ads