Release dates for 11 and 12?

doppelganger

Explorer
Morrus said:
Nah - more a case of my own inablity. Half of the adventure is written (by Darrin Drader), and I'm trying to write an equal number of words again to flesh out a massive big-battle finale involving the PCs and tie it into the adventure portion.

Take your time, man! Let's end this campaign with an awesome spectacle of a finale that has people talking about it for years to come.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
doppelganger said:
Take your time, man! Let's end this campaign with an awesome spectacle of a finale that has people talking about it for years to come.

I think people will be pleased with it. When I started work on it, we were immediately in a quandary over the mass combat aspect of the adventure. We agreed on a way that would allow you to roleplay some aspects of it, but it was by no means a full on player-controlled battle. I think that Morrus's revised approach will be pretty darn cool, though it would have been impossible for me to do within the parameters that were set for me.

On another note, I'll get to share a product credit with Russ. :cool:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The approach I'm taking is a modified Victory Points system I created a couple of years back. I think it works well.

SPOILERS - LOOK AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE

The big battle features everyone still alive at the end of the saga. If they were an important part of the saga, you'll see them there. Disaffected generals, unfriendly elven rulers, Gate Pass resistance fighters, brothers of defeated archmages and their monk-warriors, Ragesian Empresses, Lyceum mages, allied nations and so on - much mroe than that.

Essentially, you need to gain a certain number of victory points to win the battle. Your victory points start depending on what allies you have made over the saga, and then change daily. If they reach zero, Leska wins and rules the world; if they reach a target number, Leska's forces are permanently defeated.

There are, essentially, three sides - the heroes, the elves and Leska.

Each day, victory points can go up or down, depending on:

- daily random events (Rantle has fallen in battle!)
- strategic missions (defeat enemy heroes and leaders, break or defend a supply line... or, favourite, convince Longinus to pilot what's left of the Tempest for you!)
- recruiting allies (rescue Shalosta from the enemy army and gain her force of treants and archers; convince a disaffected general to switch sides; what will the Shahalesti do - help you, or wait it out and take on the losers?)

It's a lot more involved than that, but that's the basic concept. I want the PCs to feel they are in the middle of an epic battle where anything can happen, and anyone can die - and that their actions are vital to the success of the allies.

Last edited:

Volaran

First Post
Hey there Morrus.

Since it is vaguely related to release times, I was just wondering if there are going to be any announcements of the contest winners anytime soon?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Volaran said:
Hey there Morrus.

Since it is vaguely related to release times, I was just wondering if there are going to be any announcements of the contest winners anytime soon?

Yep - I've narrowed it down to four. Out of those I have to choose 1st-3rd place; not an easy choice! :)

Rugult

On Call GM
Now I am quite intrigued... Since I'm running through Adventure 8 at the moment, a lot of the epic battles have been in the background. From what I have seen, there should be a bit more of this in adventure 9, but I am really looking forward to seeing what's in this adventure!

Remove ads