Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Maybe? Different situation from 2008.
Well depends. If they do new Adventure Paths and adventure modules they can certainly do a players handbook as well even though it might not be the main selling point. Slowly they can shift the people to buy their manual instead of pathfinder etc. Is going to be a nice experiment to see. Now if it will work or not only time will tell.

Well depends. If they do new Adventure Paths and adventure modules they can certainly do a players handbook as well even though it might not be the main selling point. Slowly they can shift the people to buy their manual instead of pathfinder etc. Is going to be a nice experiment to see. Now if it will work or not only time will tell.

it will be interesting to watch, especially with the different economics of scale going on. We know the player base that was buying product for PF1 decreased over time (Paizo wouldn't have done a new edition otherwise) to the point where it couldn't sustain Paizo. However, Legendary or I think I saw Rogue Genius was working on something to which have much smaller staff, maybe able to make a successful run at it.

ronaldsf

Explorer
it will be interesting to watch, especially with the different economics of scale going on. We know the player base that was buying product for PF1 decreased over time (Paizo wouldn't have done a new edition otherwise) to the point where it couldn't sustain Paizo. However, Legendary or I think I saw Rogue Genius was working on something to which have much smaller staff, maybe able to make a successful run at it.
I honestly don't know if a consensus can be reached on how to "fix" 1e, while keeping what people who are sticking to 1e like about 1e. And it would need to do this "fixing" while staying compatible with the content 1e players already possess.

ronaldsf

Explorer
If they are indeed hiring, then that would mean they are larger than during any time during 1e, and during covid. Impressive.

BryonD

Hero
So first off not a prediction, just that that would be the next data point. And that data point is that the APG is at the moment the top non D&D gaming product on Amazon (and not the weird one off CRPG books that pop up). That would be what I would expect for PF sales from now on they aren't going to eclipse a popular D&D, but will sell better than any other system.
Only you can tell anyone what you meant. Here is what you said: "I do feel like the APG release is going to be the next real telling point for 2e. That was really the turning point for PF1 and it could really be the same for PF2. Not that it will catch 5e that isn't happening, but where it establishes itself."

There is a difference between a "data point" and a "real telling point". It isn't ambiguous that the difference in phrasing is meaningful.

Every reference to 5E just comes across as an admission of defeat. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, nobody anywhere is expecting PF2E to match 5E. But there is plenty of evidence that it is NOT taking off as the next huge game. The fact that it is SELLING #2 is pretty meaningless. PF was #2 until SF came out and then stayed in #3 slot until PF2E was announced. And PF was dying. So simply pointing at being a far distant #2 does nothing to show that PF2E has caught on in the way that a game with that brand on it could have.

But, that aside, this "telling point" has come. The sales of the core book are down from when the quote was first posted and there is no general evidence that the player base is growing.

BryonD

Hero
I believe Legendary Games is planning to make PF 1.5 or basically a "fixed" version of Pathfinder / 3.5e
I'm very interested to see how this goes.
But I do think there is a lot of difference here. When PF came along as a 3X clone there was intense love of 3X still around and a lot of dissatisfaction with 4E, without a great alternative.

There are a ton of great alternatives now and that is without even accounting for 5E. And the market demand for PF1E in 2020 is nothing compared to the demand for 3X in 2009.

PF needed to be replaced. And a tune-up isn't going to change that given all the changes that have occurred in the industry in the past decade.

That said: look at it from Legendary's point of view. They are a small label and they were doing "fine" selling PF 3PP (amongst other stuff).
I don't think 3PP for either PF or PF2E is flying off virtual shelves these days. But if you look through Kickstarters which offered both, PF consistently moves more units that PF2E. (FWIW, I think the reality is that some reasonable number of people are PLAYING PF with their book they have had for years. So the pool of buyers is there, but I also think PF players, taken as a group, are more inclined to buy 3PP stuff than PF2E players. So it is tough to truly read anything meaningful into that data with regard to overall fanbase.) So I think a PF tune up is likely to be a potential big seller in the context of Legendary Games.

It may sound like a double standard on my part that I am giving the PF tune up a pass here.
But that is because it is a double standard on my part.
PF2E had the potential from a marketing point of view to be way more than it has achieved. Neither PF nor any tune-up has that same potential at this point in the market.

Remove ads