Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How much presence does PF2 have with streaming Actual Play? Is there a show that people talk about?
I am not the best person to answer this but I know of Age of Ashes.

I've often wondered why there isn't a weekly or monthly regular live stream game of some of the top names at Paizo or who have worked on Pathfinder. People like Erik Mona, Owen K Stephens, Sean Reynolds, Jason Bulmahn, Logan Bonner, Lyz Liddell, Mark Seifter, Michael Sayre, etc..

I also think it might be a good use of marketing dollars to pay (sponsor) some celebrities to run it, at least as a one-off. Particularly right now, when a lot of actors and even voice-over people have some spare time, I imagine a zoom-type game would be something plenty would be interested in.

I am not the best person to answer this but I know of Age of Ashes.

I've often wondered why there isn't a weekly or monthly regular live stream game of some of the top names at Paizo or who have worked on Pathfinder. People like Erik Mona, Owen K Stephens, Sean Reynolds, Jason Bulmahn, Logan Bonner, Lyz Liddell, Mark Seifter, Michael Sayre, etc..

I also think it might be a good use of marketing dollars to pay (sponsor) some celebrities to run it, at least as a one-off. Particularly right now, when a lot of actors and even voice-over people have some spare time, I imagine a zoom-type game would be something plenty would be interested in.

There was one: Band of Bravos. It was not bad, though the funniest thing about it is that I realized one of the players was also part of a completely different Let's Play that I watched (Warhams).

I do wonder how much D&D 5E not having digital versions (yes, you can technically read them through D&D Beyond, but that is not the same) helps increase their overall sales...

Mistwell

(yes, you can technically read them through D&D Beyond, but that is not the same)
I hear this often. I think it was true at one time, but it's no longer the case. You read them through D&D Beyond. It really is effectively the same these days. Everyone is now online, pretty much all the time. The days of "Oh I need a separate PDF which isn't online" are kinda in the past at this point. Almost everyone has a smart phone now with enough data (often unlimited) to always be on. Same for high speed internet for a laptop or chromebook or desktop. The main differences are, 1) it's more expensive, and 2) it has more utility because keywords you just hover over and a pop-up of that other rule comes up, and it has better search capabilities. But it really is at accessible as a PDF for 90%+ of people.

I hear this often. I think it was true at one time, but it's no longer the case. You read them through D&D Beyond. It really is effectively the same these days. Everyone is now online, pretty much all the time. The days of "Oh I need a separate PDF which isn't online" are kinda in the past at this point. Almost everyone has a smart phone now with enough data (often unlimited) to always be on. Same for high speed internet for a laptop or chromebook or desktop. The main differences are, 1) it's more expensive, and 2) it has more utility because keywords you just hover over and a pop-up of that other rule comes up, and it has better search capabilities. But it really is at accessible as a PDF for 90%+ of people.

I suppose it's less about having a separate PDF and more that I just don't like the "We converted this into a webpage" style. It works, but I like having things like two-page spreads for PDFs when I have my laptop open and such.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How much presence does PF2 have with streaming Actual Play? Is there a show that people talk about?

Nothing major. The non-5E streaming shows tend to cluster around more known IP, like Call of Cthulu or Star Trek. Crunchy, mini heavy rules are also not the ideal for streaming games: HarmonQuest tensed to broadcast edited games, so the rules wouldn't big down the audience, which isn't a major concern for 5E or simpler rulesets.

I would guess Glass Cannon is the most popular Pathfinder actual play. But their main show is still PF1 and they've only dipped their toes into PF2.

I'm not sure how much streaming shows sell game systems. I'd hazard that most of the people who watch/listen to GCP (and Critical Role, etc.) don't even play RPGs.

Mistwell

I would guess Glass Cannon is the most popular Pathfinder actual play. But their main show is still PF1 and they've only dipped their toes into PF2.

I'm not sure how much streaming shows sell game systems. I'd hazard that most of the people who watch/listen to GCP (and Critical Role, etc.) don't even play RPGs.
And I would hazard to guess streaming shows like Critical Role are the number one most powerful marketing tool behind 5e. And even if most who watch don't play, the 45%-ish who watch and do play, MOST decided to play because they watched the show. And we're talking MILLIONS of viewers.

Porridge

Explorer

There are a number of PF2 actual play shows I’ve heard people talk about, though (unlike 5e with Critical Role) I don’t know if there’s one single show that’s leaps and bounds more popular than the rest.

The shows with official ties or licensing deals with Paizo that I know of are: The Knights of Everflame, Band of Bravos, and Oblivion Oath (all run by Jason Bulmahn), Roll for Combat, Echo Quest, Find the Path, and Hideous Laughter. Those are among the highest profile ones.

I’ve also heard good things about several others without official ties/licensing deals, like Dice Will Roll and MNmaxed.

Last edited:

And I would hazard to guess streaming shows like Critical Role are the number one most powerful marketing tool behind 5e. And even if most who watch don't play, the 45%-ish who watch and do play, MOST decided to play because they watched the show. And we're talking MILLIONS of viewers.

Yeah, CR just hit right in the middle of the ascension of "Let's Play" videos and has a level of craft, professionalism, and polish that most don't. It's the sort of on-going, evolving fiction that the internet is just built to consume. Given that their forays into other systems typically do great numbers, I definitely think they have given more to 5E than 5E has given back to them.

I also wanted to say that I think while system and popular IPs can matter, the biggest driver of non-CR streaming shows is largely popularity outside of that realm: I feel like the big Let's Play RP shows that I am able to view come from previously-established content creators (a good example would be Jesse Cox, who runs a Star Wars game on his channel but is best known for his video game content) or the McElroys, who had a presence well before they started up The Adventure Zone.

Remove ads