• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Religious Bard Prestige Class?

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I wrote the chorister for Sovereign Press' War of the Lance sourcebook, for Dragonlance. It's a divine spellcasting PrC with bardic music analogues with religious themes, and while it was designed for Dragonlance it'd work with any other campaign setting without any modification.

Cheers,
Cam

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
From the Book of Exalted Deeds, you have:-

Sentinel of Bharrai (nature based)
Troubadour of Stars (Exalted caster linked to the Chaotic Good Eladrin).
There's also the Exalted Arcanist, but you get slightly less benefit from the class than a Sorcerer would.

You might also consider the Divine Bard variant from Unearthed Arcana. You gain a number of alignment-based spells to add to your available spell list, but need a decent Wisdom to cast spells (though Spells per day and Save DCs are based on Charisma as normal).
Music.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Cam Banks said:
I wrote the chorister for Sovereign Press' War of the Lance sourcebook, for Dragonlance. It's a divine spellcasting PrC with bardic music analogues with religious themes, and while it was designed for Dragonlance it'd work with any other campaign setting without any modification.

Chorister is such a great word. As soon as I saw it in a program for a concert my brother was in, I immediately thought of using it as a divine bardic prestige class.

I did some preliminary work on a PrC for NWN that basically had a variety of BM effects that were divine in nature... I don't think it would be difficult to come up with some. In P&P I would probably add some spells to the Bardic spell list... for generic use, I would allow them to choose two domains and add those spells to their list, no domain powers granted. Increase BM as a Bard, but not spellcasting. Otherwise, stats as a Bard.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
LightPhoenix said:
Chorister is such a great word. As soon as I saw it in a program for a concert my brother was in, I immediately thought of using it as a divine bardic prestige class.

I did some preliminary work on a PrC for NWN that basically had a variety of BM effects that were divine in nature... I don't think it would be difficult to come up with some. In P&P I would probably add some spells to the Bardic spell list... for generic use, I would allow them to choose two domains and add those spells to their list, no domain powers granted. Increase BM as a Bard, but not spellcasting. Otherwise, stats as a Bard.

So, a different take on the ideas from Seeker of the Song, in Complete Arcane? I liked the idea of powerful bardic music that wasn't true spellcasting, but have never gotten around to doing anything with the idea. Perhaps you'd like to get the ball rolling in House rules?

</derail>

I also noticed the Arcane Devotee class from the Forgotten Realms (Player's Guide to Faerun, original 3.0 version is in the Campaign setting). Interesting deity-based religious arcanist.

Remove ads