• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Remaking the Cleric into a Domain Priest

Timmoth

First Post
Im not really that into D&D. Im learning it while I work on an adventure mod. Im lucky my friend who can be heard in the D&D Next review below has all of the core books from the last three edition and Pathfinder. Its intersting reading all of the books together.

After a few weeks of brainstorming we started to conclude that a cleric of any domain will function as an AEDU druid would if the druid was a cleric of nature.

I want to see if anyone is interested in this. Its a lot of work. As you can see in the video below there are quite a few domains with maybe more to add.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCBPTI1NNuc"]Video below[/ame]

Wow...

So, I didn't watch the whole thing.. starting skipping around after the 10 minute mark to see if I could skip past the random 'review' material

If you want the part that this thread is meant to discuss, here is the short version as I was able to piece it together:

Druid works best as a cleric devoted to Nature with specific domain spells and abilities.

Other clerics should be redone based on their selected devotion to specific domains.

In the video {at the 2:51 mark} there are 40 domains listed with maybe more to add.

Other stuff talked about:
[sblock]
ditch 'cure light wounds' in favor of generic 'heal' spell
ditch 'cause light wounds' in favor of generic 'harm' spell

We should order Chinese

DnDNext should have wounds, like chopping off hands

Plate Mail costs too much

I am drinking a nice liqueur

DnDNext will be better is WoTC listens to my recommendations

This review ended up longer than I expected and I bet no-one will listen to the whole thing anyway

'Tanks' adventuring in the swamp while wearing plate mail is silly

[/sblock]

All in all, about 20 minutes of my life I won't ever get back

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I actually listened to the whole thing, but sound quality is too disparate and I couldn't really get all of it.

Also this is slightly outdated, it was made reviewing the old package, not the current one.

Grimmjow

First Post
1) birth and nobility seem pointless though.
2) nature should feel like a druid but not replace the druid
3) domain cleric > god cleric
4) seasonal domains are a must!

Timmoth

First Post
Nice recap Primitive Screwhead.

It was actually longer. He cut out the story behind the Crème de Menthe. He was drinking to 'kill the toxins' of some uncooked meat.

Timmoth

First Post
1) birth and nobility seem pointless though.
2) nature should feel like a druid but not replace the druid
3) domain cleric > god cleric
4) seasonal domains are a must!

Why not make the priest of nature a druid if it feels like one anyway? We are aiming for a more spiritual connection as an answer to why a world could have so many gods. Gods arent known to interfere with the lives of Druids. That will also be true for the urban Druid. Im not sure what to call the urban Druid.

Why seasonal domains?

Grimmjow

First Post
i just like the idea of seasons being domains and it made me mad in 4e that winter was a domain but summer/spring/autumn never got any. Some pretty cool things could be done with them too. Winter could get some kind of bonus in the winter, be normal in the spring and autumn and take penalties during the summer (and the same thing for the rest of them of course.

Why not make the priest of nature a druid if it feels like one anyway? We are aiming for a more spiritual connection as an answer to why a world could have so many gods. Gods arent known to interfere with the lives of Druids. That will also be true for the urban Druid. Im not sure what to call the urban Druid.

Why seasonal domains?

Because a priest of nature should not feel the same as a druid. They should be against destruction of nature and work towards civilization in harmony with nature.. and do thinks like improve crops, control weather, and build community. As 'priests' the main focus is leading human{oid} souls into worship of the deity that has this domain. They protect nature by education and support of human{oids}.

Druids, on the other hand, worship the nature directly.. not a deity. IMHO the druid should be the one with the seasonal variants similar to the ones detailed in Eberron's setting. Winter being more about the grip of death, spring about growth and reincarnation, summer about hearth and home, and fall about change and sorrow. All of them should be the 'paladins' of the natural world, defending it from unnatural harm, by force if needed.
There abilities should be less super-natural and more personal... wild-shape, animal friendship, gaining advantage in wilderness settings, etc.

Timmoth

First Post
Because a priest of nature should not feel the same as a druid. They should be against destruction of nature and work towards civilization in harmony with nature.. and do thinks like improve crops, control weather, and build community. As 'priests' the main focus is leading human{oid} souls into worship of the deity that has this domain. They protect nature by education and support of human{oids}.

Druids, on the other hand, worship the nature directly.. not a deity. IMHO the druid should be the one with the seasonal variants similar to the ones detailed in Eberron's setting. Winter being more about the grip of death, spring about growth and reincarnation, summer about hearth and home, and fall about change and sorrow. All of them should be the 'paladins' of the natural world, defending it from unnatural harm, by force if needed.
There abilities should be less super-natural and more personal... wild-shape, animal friendship, gaining advantage in wilderness settings, etc.

The lines between nature priest and Druid are thinner in a more spiritual world. The goddess of nature is nature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads