Remember these MERP/Rolemaster critical hit tables?

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

Dx7ytjyWkAIllWW.jpg-large.jpg

I remember reading the MERP critical tables for the first time and thinking: "I will always wear a helmet from now on. Always always always".

Cherno

Explorer
Another fun crit is from Arms Law, critical damage from tiny creatures, E-100: Felled by virtually impossible hit against neck. Carotid artery severed.
I assume that this is a reference to the Rabbit of Caerbannog from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where it pounces from knight to knight, biting their necks.

jshauber

First Post
AH YES, back in the days before challenge ratings and nearly un-killable PCs with uber maxed stats and skills.

Being a GM was more fun with RM, anyone could die at any time and that always made combat feel more tense. Now you just hope it lasts more than a couple rounds of expertly choreographed moves and that the players actually have to think a bit about how to overcome the latest speed bump.

Cthulad

Explorer
As a question, and someone not familiar with this table, or the books, what kind of reference can I use for this book, if I was looking for the reference or the books?

hawkwind58

Explorer
Oh, most definitely - I love all things d100! I also remember depression criticals, LOL. And my freshly inducted Rider of Rohan - who got vaporized by a random demon encounter. Grrrr! (Didn't Tolkien Enterprises help ruin ICE to get the license back in time for the movies? I seem to remember reading something to that effect in Designers & Dragons.)

I don't think so. My understanding was that whoever brought out the next rpg for Middle Earth (Decipher Games?) had managed to convince Tolkien Enterprises that the rpg rights for Middle Earth were a cash cow just waiting to be milked. Spoiler - they were wrong, ICE got better market penetration than any subsequent attempt has. Even Cubicle 7, with The One Ring and their 5e version, Adventures in Middle Earth, haven't been as popular as MERP was.

rbsandkms

First Post
Great times in college with Rulemaster ... er, Rolemaster/MERP/Space Master. I fondly remember my dwarven tank that kept getting blasted in the chest, so wore an extra set of chest chain, which the GM ruled reduced damage that said it was to the chest area.

Cherno

Explorer
As a question, and someone not familiar with this table, or the books, what kind of reference can I use for this book, if I was looking for the reference or the books?

Arms Law and Spell Law of Channeling, maybe other Spell Law books as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads